Pastry Twists (Chrust/Faworki)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pastry Twists (Chrust/Faworki)

Chrust means brushwood which describes the appearance of these sweet pastry twists. If properly made, they should be very thin and simply melt in the mouth.

250g plain flour
1tbs icing sugar
25g butter
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1 tbs sour cream
1 tbs vinegar
Butter or oil for deep frying
Icing sugar for dredging

Mix all but the last two of the above ingredients together in a large bowl to form a dough. Roll out as thinly as possible. Cut into narrow strips and make a slit down the middle of each one. Push one end through the slit and pull gently so that you have a twist in the middle. Do this to all of the strips. Heat enough butter or oil in a pan for deep frying. Fry the pastry twits until golden on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper. Pile on plate and dredge with icing sugar.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Faworki is "Angel wings" according to Wikipedia
Thank you Kitty!
I learned a postable polish word!

You should post a picture of them!

There is a Polish baazer going on in Seattle this weekend. It sounds kinda interesting. Arts and crafts, Polish dinners served all day! Hubby and I talked about going, but neither one of us wants to go to Seattle!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'll post a pic when we make them again in a couple days. We're making this for Kute Kitten's project for Heritage Days at school.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Picture of the Pastry Twists. They are sitting on the tray right after being powdered sugared.

Pastrytwists.jpg

Latest posts