Pasture management Myotonic goats vs Shetland sheep

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends what kind of spray heads they use. Mine are located near the edge of my lawn, uses 2 large 'rainbird' type popup heads, about 100' feet apart, that are ground level when the pump is off. Their spray radius is about 50' each.
Others, use smaller, but more numerous fixed nozzles, much like you see in landscaped flowerbeds at shopping centers. One of my sisters has an aerobic system with the smaller nozzles and she built flower beds all around them and has some great looking hibiscus because of it.

My son has one in Louisiana, that uses a centrifugal type pump--they are nothing but trouble. He finally replaced it with a stainless stacked impeller submersible pump, similar to what modern down-hole water wells use. Mine came with that sub pump too. Trouble free.

My spray heads are adjustable, meaning I can direct the spray in any direction and any part or whole of a circle. I do have them set at 360 degrees now, which means 1/2 of the spray does go into my pasture. The cows eat that grass just as readily as any other. No odor or color to the spray at all.
The only trouble I have had with mine is the little compressor that is mounted above ground. It runs of course, 24/7 and if the perforated piping (diffuser) down in the aeration tank begins to clog, it puts stress on that compressor. I had to have it rebuilt once already--rebuilt it the 2nd time myself. They are over $300 new, and are the heart of the system. I learned to pull that diffuser out once per year and wash it out. Takes about 20 minutes.

I have a Clearstream 600NC3. They are not inexpensive but mine has been mostly trouble free.
http://www.clearstreamsystems.com/pdf/NC3_Book.pdf

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So place the spray heads near to a property line and when nobody is looking, direct them over onto the neighbor's property.... :duc:hide I was KIDDING!! They're not supposed to be spraying raw effluent onto the lawn... there should be no reason the animals can't eat the grass... :idunno

edit to correct spelling of "raw" from "ram"

Last edited:

ShadowsFIAL

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you all for all of your responses! :)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
They're not supposed to be spraying raw effluent onto the lawn... there should be no reason the animals can't eat the grass... :idunno
There isn't.
We all see these things spraying and think "Eww..poopy/pee water" but just follow your animals around for a single 24 hours and note just how little of their paddocks aren't touched by raw urine and poop that comes straight out of their own organs...