Pedilyte for scours

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed? How much does she weigh? Is she finishing the bottle with vigor or is she really full/slow after eating?

You could cut the milk back some and see how she’s doing. Each kid is a little different as to how much they can take down, especially in the first week of life.

Really really glad she’s doing better!

Poppy91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What breed? How much does she weigh? Is she finishing the bottle with vigor or is she really full/slow after eating?

You could cut the milk back some and see how she’s doing. Each kid is a little different as to how much they can take down, especially in the first week of life.

Really really glad she’s doing better!

She is a sannan/Nubian 5 days old today and about 4-5lbs She was awful on the milk replacer I almost lost her AGAIN the whole cows milk (just started yesterday afternoon) she is like a different goat!! I’m still mixing 50:50 milk to electrolytes since she still very watery but it’s getting sooo much better on the cows milk! I’m so incredibly greatful for that advice I would have lost her otherwise!!! You guys saved her!!! Can’t thank you enough!

Last night I was giving her about 2oz every other hr. 1oz electrolytes 1oz milk and there was a drastic improvement within a couple feedings! But it was a struggle getting it into her... She is now vigorously finishing the bottle as of this am snd spunky! following me around trying to suckle on my legs and arms I just don’t want to over feed especially after her going down twice on me..I know 2oz every other hr isn’t near enough now that her guts are on the mend and I need to slowly increase gradually. I’m just not sure what amount I should be maxing out at I think she’s been so sick and so starved she will just eat herself sick

. maybe I’m just being an over protective first time mama

Last edited:

Poppy91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is what I’m dealing with today! It’s awful but it’s actually an improvement from what it was

BF6740B6-62EB-46A8-8869-48B6DF6AF7BD.jpeg

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last night I was giving her about 2oz every other hr. 1oz electrolytes 1oz milk and there was a drastic improvement within a couple feedings! But it was a struggle getting it into her... She is now vigorously finishing the bottle as of this am snd spunky! following me around trying to suckle on my legs and arms I just don’t want to over feed especially after her going down twice on me..I know 2oz every other hr isn’t near enough now that her guts are on the mend and I need to slowly increase gradually. I’m just not sure what amount I should be maxing out at I think she’s been so sick and so starved she will just eat herself sick

. maybe I’m just being an over protective first time mama
You are not being an overprotective momma! You are doing a great job and she'd be dead without you!
If she is really a cross between those two breeds, she is pretty darn small but honestly she is alive, so I wouldn't worry too much.
I'd start at 4-6 oz every 4 hours and go from there. She'll need more than that but this should be easy on the gut and still give her enough energy.
I think you are doing a really good job! You know your kid best so you do have to "go with your gut" to some extent.

Poppy91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You are not being an overprotective momma! You are doing a great job and she'd be dead without you!
If she is really a cross between those two breeds, she is pretty darn small but honestly she is alive, so I wouldn't worry too much.
I'd start at 4-6 oz every 4 hours and go from there. She'll need more than that but this should be easy on the gut and still give her enough energy.
I think you are doing a really good job! You know your kid best so you do have to "go with your gut" to some extent.
. Thank you!!! Yes she is very tiny the vet said she should be around 8lbs at least! But she was literally starved to death for 2 days before I got her! I was able to gradually bump her feedings up to 4oz. She seems to be doing well with it! She’s running around the house bucking and playing so I think things are looking up!!

Thank you so much for all your help and support everyone you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

Grandma Betty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We had the same issue. The vet gave each a dose of Panacur...worked like a charm.

JM7Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
With my bottle baby goats I NEVER use replacer. I've read so many bad things about it and how it can cause scours among other stuff. It's full of crap they don't need. I use a recipe and make their milk with this:
1 gallon (minus 2 cups) whole milk
1 cup whole CULTURED buttermilk
1 can evaporated milk
Mix together after removing 2 cups of milk from the gallon.

Works wonders, the whole cultured buttermilk will help their little bellies digest the milk so it's super important! In the beginning, I also added 1 pump of Goat/Sheep Nutri-drench to the first bottle in the morning.

JM7Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Not stupid at all!! This is a great article from a very experienced goat lady whom I love! She's never steered me wrong :) it has great stuff on how much to feed through all the stages/ages!

https://thefreerangelife.com/bottle-feed-goat/

This may be a stupid question or a 2 late question but in your opinion how much do you recommend per feeding? Vet said roughly 300ml every 4hrs (at 4 days old now) but I’m wondering if she’s getting a bit to much?

Curious your thoughts! Since you guys have me good advice on the cows milk!

I’m learning as I go here! And just want to do the best I can for her!![/QUOTE]

Poppy91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help and support everyone!

It’s a very sad day around here... our little clover passed away :(. We had SEVERAL vet visits and tried several different things. Turns out her stomach was actually under developed and not capiable of absorbing nutrients as well as an issue within her intestines. Unfortunately nothing would have helped her. We are so incredibly lucky we got the time we did with her and got to love her and help her as much as we could! Little baby curled up for a nap after yet another vet trip and didn’t wake up

Very hard day here...