Pen and shed Location question!

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi! I'm acquiring two mini mancha doelings to start my herd and am currently prepping my shed and pen. We had initially chosen a flat spot in the wooded area of our property due to its shade, available browse, and proximity to water and power. Ultimately we plan to rotate but that's down the road. As I was cleaning leaves up the area I noticed several spots with white mold/fungus under the leaf litter. Now I'm second guessing this choice of location. I have other options but just wanted advice on whether I should avoid this area until it can dry out well. The mold is only in one area that had really thick leaf litter. I don't want my goats to get sick.

Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are in the woods you will always have leaf litter... just leave it and all will be fine.
Some things to consider...
Higher ground is best. Flat spots can get waterlogged easily.
If in the woods think about the seasons.
You will need to make sure you have good airflow and in the winter can the sun get to the shelter to help warm and dry out?

Congratulations on your new MiniManchas! I breed Standards (Lamanch and Nubian), minis (manchas, nubians), and dwarfs.
Where did you get yours from I know lots of breeders in Va.

Willowbriar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Southern by choice! Thanks for your reply. I'm not so much worried about the leaf litter (although much of it is oak and I keep reading oak is not good for goats to consume? Yet I see lots of posts by people who say their goats have no issues with oak leaves.) but the fact that their is mold under the leaf litter. The spot is flat but it's pretty dry as it's high up in the woods. It's the only place we could put a shed in the woods. I have pasture areas that I can use too. Just trying to decide which is best. I know goats prefer to browse so that's why we were choosing the wooded area. I think we may have a way around that one spot that was pretty full of fungus.

I got one of my mins from Sarah Vogely at New Forest Farm and my second is from Enchanted Hill Farm (Ed Kinser). Ed has been a wealth of knowledge for sure and I'm excited to have him as a resource.