Pen G, Tylans? Sick goat.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have spent all morning trying to find a dosage for Pen G for goats. Is it different for different problems, or is there a standard dosage to fall back on? Also, are pen g and tylan 50 or 2000 interchangeable? If so, what about dosage for tylans? I want this info for general information, I have no emergency situation right now.

I do have a 7 week old fainter doeling that is scouring this morning. I have given her jump start pro bios, and started her on dimethox treatment for coccidiosis. Watching her closely and will yell for help if she gets worse, but for now, I am ok.

We have NO access to a vet, as the closest one that will treat goats is almost 2 hours away and will NOT come this far. In an extreme emergency we could take them there but a trip that long would probably kill an animal that was that sick anyway. Consequently, we are pretty much on our own for treatments and so far have been very lucky.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I dose Pen G at 1cc per 15 pounds and you have to do it every 8-12 hours (I do 12) and you have to do a course of it, NEVER just once. Go at least 5 days, I do 7.

I use Dura-Pen
Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine Injectable.
I use the 300,000 units per mL

I much prefer an IM injection for all antibiotics but that's me.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I dose Pen G at 1cc per 15 pounds and you have to do it every 8-12 hours (I do 12) and you have to do a course of it, NEVER just once. Go at least 5 days, I do 7.

I use Dura-Pen
Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine Injectable.
I use the 300,000 units per mL

I much prefer an IM injection for all antibiotics but that's me.
Thanks Straw, appreciate it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I use Pen G (Penicillin Procaine G) at 1cc per 20#, every 12 hrs. I use it mainly when there is an injury / wound or for 'girl trouble' - rough kidding, retained placenta, etc.
It's also the 'go to' for tetanus and listeriosis, along w/ B vitamin.

I've never used Tylan, sorry.

I keep tetracycline on hand but rarely use it, it tends to go bad (outdated) on me....but I keep buying more to keep on hand 'just in case'.

I know you cannot use tetracyclines and Pen g at the same time, one cancels out the other.

I also keep Nuflor on hand. It's my 'go to' drug.

Here it seems our goats never get 'a little' sick. If they get sick, it's a BAD thing and I have to bring out my 'big gun' (Nuflor).
I haven't had to use it for around a year, thankfully.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I know you cannot use tetracyclines and Pen g at the same time, one cancels out the other.
Yes that's right. If you use oxytetracycline (LA200 or the likes) it will cancel the penicillin out.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exactly what I needed.

My Cara (LaMancha) was a little off nursing this morning. Noticed her left ear was all crusty. I cleaned it with an some alcohol wipes. Green gunky stuff. I would say she has an ear infection. I have PEN G on hand and wanted to know how much to give.

STRAW HAT KIKOS does 1 CC / 15 lbs twice a day for 7 days.
ROLL FARMS does 1 CC / 20 ilbs twice a day - How many days to go give?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Length of treatment depends on what the problem is...small wound? 7 days...a really deep wound that takes a long time to heal, I'd do 14 days.
Rough kidding - 7 days
Retained placenta - 10-14 days (depending on what the doe's drainage looks like).

I also give Probios any time someone's on antibiotics for any length of time. :)

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you give in the muscle or under the skin?

What size needle do you use?

If giving in the muscle, which muscle do you use?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yes probios is a must during any form of antibiotic.

I use 22g needles because that's what I have here but I hate 22g. I like 18 best.

I give IM and I just hold the animal and stab it in the thigh, or hip muscle.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
18 gauge needle for Penn G products, because it is so think. I use 3/4 inch needles. I find the 20Gauge needles a little too thin for the Penn G, but 20 gauge work well for vaccines.
you can give it Sub-q or IM. I do every 8 hours the first day or two and then every 12 hours.

I have not used Tylan, I have used La 200 injectable. LA 200 is also sold as Biomycin under a different brand name.

This is a good time to discuss the difference between Durapen and Procain G. I prefer Procain G over Durapen. Durpen is a long acting pennicilling and has a longer withdrawal. I almost always go with a shorter withdrawl drug when ever possible, because we are a meat farm. But their is another reason. Procain G releases a bigger peak of antibiotic. by giving it 2 or 3 times a day you are causing peaks in the antibiotic and these peaks are very affective in killing the bacteria and helping the animal recover. Durapen is a long release antibiotic for of Penn G(procain G) and you don't get as high of peaks. At least that is how it was explained to us by a vet. There is really no benifit to the longer acting and you are just getting a longer withdrawal time. It is also why it is importnant to dose the Procain G 2 or 3 times a day.

La 200 wouldn't be my first choice for a kid. I have used it on younger kids, but I prefer a non-tetracyclene based antibiotic on kids. High dosages of tetracyclene can affect bone growth on young growing animals. Although, If I had nothing else I would use it.

I use 1 cc per 15 to 20 lbs of penn G, And I give it anywhere from 3 to 10 days. I may only give it 3 days if I am giving it along iwth coccidiosis medicine for scours, but for injuries and respiratory problems I would go with the 7 to 10 days. I have a kid right now that weighs 40 lbs and he has been getting 2 cc's twice a day for 9 days now for a leg injury.

Penn G woudl be my choice for scours and injuries and for young kids.
LA 200 I am more likely to use on older goats, kidding issues, respiratory problems in older goats and hoof problems.

Latest posts