Pen G, Tylans? Sick goat.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I dose Pen G at 1cc per 15 pounds and you have to do it every 8-12 hours (I do 12) and you have to do a course of it, NEVER just once. Go at least 5 days, I do 7.

I use Dura-Pen
Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine Injectable.
I use the 300,000 units per mL

I much prefer an IM injection for all antibiotics but that's me.
I agree, I think IM is a better route for antibiotics. I have done some of the Penn G sub-q, especially with young kids and they have responded to the treatments. But technically if I understand it correctly giving Antibiotics IM is more affective.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I gave Pen G IM for years on the advice of my vet, before I read on message boards that you 'shouldn't' or 'can't'....So I still give it IM.

This is another of those, "Ask 20 different goat producers how they do something and you'll get 20 answers." things.

I still think the best course for 'Newbies' is to work with your vet until you get comfortable diagnosing / treating different issues.

:D

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thank you all for all the information. I learned a lot just reading this thread so far. I am not new to giving shots, cdt, wormers, and all the 'normal' stuff. But so far, we have never had a sick goat other than a little log or scour problem once in a while which I am ok working with. It came to me this morning while I was giving Ivory her DiMeth, that if I had a serious problem or injury, I wouldn't know dosages because I have never had to so far. That inspired me to open a new document on my computer and start making notes of what I did and didn't know. Found out I know quite a bit. Found out there is a heck of a lot more that I don't know. They say any day that you learn something is a good day. So far this has been a great day. Now if I can just get this little girl working good again all will be well. Will update her on the kidding thread page. Thanks again.

BJ

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will admit that I didn't read every post in this thread closely, but remember to draw back on the plunger and check for blood when giving Pen. You don't want to get it in a vein, it can be fatal.

That is why I hate IM, I am a big chicken.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
babsbag said:
I will admit that I didn't read every post in this thread closely, but remember to draw back on the plunger and check for blood when giving Pen. You don't want to get it in a vein, it can be fatal.

That is why I hate IM, I am a big chicken.
I know I should but most times I don't draw back. It's hard to do that when you have a goat that knows your coming after it twice a day to stab it in the butt. Hard enough to catch them then to hold them still and to draw back, look, and then push. I just stab in the thigh and push it quick as I can. :hide

Really should take the time to draw back though.

Oh and I LOVE IM. Don't like Sub Q very much. IM is so easy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I know I should but most times I don't draw back. It's hard to do that when you have a goat that knows your coming after it twice a day to stab it in the butt. Hard enough to catch them then to hold them still and to draw back, look, and then push. I just stab in the thigh and push it quick as I can. :hide

Really should take the time to draw back though.

Oh and I LOVE IM. Don't like Sub Q very much. IM is so easy.
That is what makes us all unique.

One of BYH members lost a goat to a Pen injection and I will forever remember reading her posts and I really felt her pain.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I normally don't either, I am sure I will start to if one drops dead. And I too feel it is easier to just grab and stick in their bottoms than to try to pinch skin and do sub-Q when you are doing it by yourself.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I normally don't either, I am sure I will start to if one drops dead. And I too feel it is easier to just grab and stick in their bottoms than to try to pinch skin and do sub-Q when you are doing it by yourself.
haha Yeah. One drops dead on me I think I'll start drawing back too.

Yup. Sub Q is a pain. Takes longer and is harder. IM is the way to go.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never done IM. Only shots I have had to give so far is the CDT and 2 wormer shots, all subQ. I give myself 4 shots a day, mostly in my belly, for my diabetes, so shots of any kind is not a biggy for me, just wasn't sure of best way. I think when I do have to give anything IM, I will draw back. Somehow seeing the words 'drop over dead' made me think that is the way to go. :lol:

JNFarm

Just born
Reaction score
I had a little doe drop on me last week...it was heartbreaking. I will never again inject without pulling back. Lesson learned.

Hi...I am new here....I am just trolling around learning SO MUCH! :)