...Pending...

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just turned in my animal permit application to the city TODAY! If approved, I'll be able to get backyard goats and chickens!

The ladies at City Hall seem to be pro-animal. The woman who took my fee ($52.50) said she used to raise sheep and, once upon a time, had a goat. She looked at the pictures of our backyard I'd included with the application and said it looked big enough for goats (we have a 74' x 65' backyard with a 20' x 10' wannabe goat shed). She seemed excited for me.

I've spoken several times via phone with the woman who will actually go over my application and say yea or nay. She didn't sound at all shocked or concerned that I wanted city goats, though she did mention once that, "goats are loud".

I'm fairly confident I'll be approved. My only worry is the city noise ordinance. Apparently the neighbors next to us, who are up the hill, can't hear our dog when she barks so I'm assuming she won't hear goats. There are woods behind us and a school as our other "neighbor" so goat noises wouldn't bother those close to us. However, I know sound carries and we're on a hill so the neighbors downhill might not be thrilled with us...

If the city gives me the green light I'm gonna go forward with my goaty dream and risk the neighborhood's ire. But I did want to ask, what can I expect noise-wise from, say, a couple of does and possibly a whether? Do goats sleep quietly throughout the night?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
She seemed excited for me.
Just a thought.....The lady that takes my property taxes every year and the one that takes my fee for vehicle and trailer registration renewals always seem so cheerful & excited for me as well.
OTOH, they may just appear excited for themselves...(or perhaps astonished that I've somehow managed to live another year.)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on the breed and how "routine oriented" that ya are...the animals will let ya know if you are late with pellets or off routine.....they will sound like they are being left to starve if late.....:lol:.....our doe and 2 wethers are barely noticed, except for those times.....they are pygmy/boer crosses, the doe is full pygmy.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeds make a difference. Individual goats make a difference.

Most of our Nigerians can be loud as babies but that is just because they want their bottles. They quiet down as they grow. HOWEVER, many of our quietest Nigerians after kidding the first time became quite noisy. Especially in heat. We have since sold the few that were absolute screamers in heat. 3 days every 3 weeks they screamed! Worse in the true rut months. Now we only have a few that holler during heat and it's not too bad.
Our Lamanchas are always quiet with the exception of us being late for milking- then they "remind" us to get our buts out there. Of course it does get loud once we start doing once a day milking and drying off.

So far only a few of our Nubian kids have been loud. Thankfully the line out of Ruby are quiet- you wouldn't know there were Nubians here. We have a new girl- different line so we shall see.

Our Mini's... None of our mini nubians were loud- ever- again out of Ruby.
The mini manchas are generally quiet past the baby stage.

Out of all our goats the Nigerians hands down are the loudest/noisiest goats. Our friends have a few that are also screamers in heat. So bad that even though they didn't want to breed them they did just to get them to shut up. It's real, I tell ya.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice
Will the does still scream to be bred if there's no buck around?

I've heard before that Nubians are loud. Nigerians would be perfect for our backyard but it sounds like they're noisier, too. I love LaManchas. It sounds (pun intended!) like they might be what I'm looking for. Though my first goats will probably be whatever I can find on Craigslist. I can't afford expensive, registered stick to start off with and my area (Oregon west coast) seems to be lacking in the goat dept. Or maybe I just don't know where to look...:hu

Hey, so you might have created a "quiet goat breed" with your "Ruby Line" , eh? That could be profitable. Especially if you sell to folks looking for a true backyard herd!

Latest posts