Penicillin dosages for kids

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
I will try again tomorrow to get mom to feed her. I will trick her with a different treat... shes so temperamental! One day shes all hugs and love and the next, she is all crazy!

On a positive note, the baby finally took a bottle of milk formula and is in a milk coma! The poor little was starving.... And still fever free so im assuming the original antibiotic is doing something right.

I appreciate all y'alls help! More than you could ever know! I had this bright idea to raise goats with my mom and now we are in the learning curve. Your knowledge will definitely not go to waste on me!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
A fever that high in a kid really requires a vet call. If Oxy is all you had on hand then better then nothing. I will say more often with goats it is not the 72 hour rule. It is one dose then another 24 hours later ... but again, your vet is the best to advise you. A kid this young, temp that high could be many things going on. Pneumonia is likely however that is very high. The pen is probably better but hard as well on the system.
You will wantto give supportive care, probios and vitamins. I would also have a fecal run to check for coccidiosis. Coccidia and pneumonia go hand in hand but many are not aware of that. You mentioned mucous in stool I believe. She is prime age for it as well.
The dam may be rejecting her for a variety of reasons. I would check the dams udder as well because she should not be kicking kids off this young. She should be checked for any signs of mastitis, also check temp to make she she is not running a fever (indicating sicknes) as well as no temp drop. Temp drop below 101 can indicate "milk fever" (hypocalcaemia- low blood calcium) which requires quick action.
3x day should be sufficient as far as bottle feeding. What breed is this goat?

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
The baby seems to be back to normal today with the exception of mom not allowing her to feed. I have been supplementing her with a bottle which is fine by me... as long as she is healthy! She has been spending some time outside with her brothers today and hasnt had a fever since at least 1pm yesterday. I guess the oxytetracycline worked on whatever it was that made her sick.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How is the baby doing ? I have a large crossbred doe that is nursing triplets and they are doing fine . The doeling is a little smaller than her brothers but not much . I don't know much but any time antibiotics are used you should treat at least five days . Take into account the dose ,if it is seems like it is a lot , use two injection sites .Backyard herders are great wouldn't made it through the winter without their help and advice .I have learned some much for an old man it's amazing. I'm now using redcell and also giving iron shots plus probiotics after deworming .Vitamin B complex injectable also works wonders for sick kids . Oxytetracycline is a wonder drug for my flock . Keep a close watch on it . It will go bad long before the expiration date once the stopper is pierced . Make sure you check the color before using oxy. We're new to goats but have tended animals just abut all our lives .

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Hipshot , What color should the oxy be?
medium amber in color Once exposed to air it thickens and turns dark almost black . And there is no way not to exposé it to air .Syringes fill easier if you inject the same volume of air into the bottle as the liquid you take out . If filled without air injection ,air is sucked in when you withdraw the needle . I buy a bottle of sufficient size to do the treatment . Then use it up as quickly as possible. LA 200 is pretty high dollar stuff . If I were treating pink eye in a large herd of cattle I would use it .Other wise I use the less expensive 72-200 from durvet . It clears up hoof rot limping in goats in two injections . I still treat for five days . Using it for goats is off label So its a guessing game. I use 6 ccs per hundred lbs. as a base line. And all injections intramuscular . I find it tends to run out of the injection hole when I do subcutaneous . I wouldn't inject any medicine I wasn't sure of .But I would and do use it as a topical . Injection rules are simple . In the muscle angle the needle upward . If you nick or go through a vein it will drain . Injections damage muscle ,and the reason for large doses injected in more than one spot . If I could just figure out how to grow another pair of hands . :lol:

Latest posts