Penicillin for Pigs

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my pots is sick----I have injectable pencillin, but no needle. Can I give him some orally, or should I just wait until I can pick up some needles later today. I will be leaving at 9 and won't get back home until afternoon. He just became sick overnight----didn't eat well this morning and standing and shivering. I'm positive he has a fever and we are leaving on Sat. for vacation. There is somone staying at our place while we're gone to care for the animals, but don't know how comfortable he would be giving injections.....

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You can give it orally - if you absolutely have to...of course injections are a little more effective and quicker working.
Please read this ...it might help you figure out what you're dealing with and how best to treat.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, eleven, that was good info. I was on that site this morning, but didn't see that. I did give Bugsy (my pbp) a shot after feeding time around 5. He really didn't like it and screamed, but I feel better knowing he has got meds. in him. I'll give a few more shots----I think it's every 12 hours---and then put him on oral antibiotics in his water. I think constipation could be a possibility, only because I just got their own pen built 2 days ago, and am wondering if he could be upset about a smaller pen (750 sq. ft.) and not wanting to go to the bathroom in there? I'll have to watch and see if he poops between now and morning.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Sometimes the stress of "moving" can be enough to make some animals sick. And, yes, just moving them from one pen to another on the same property can be enough do it to some critters.

Hope Bugsy feels better soon :hugs

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, Bugsy is back to his old self this morning! I guess that shot of penicillin did the trick-----he was feeling so much better that I couldn't even catch him to give him a shot when I went out to feed! I ended up just putting oral antibiotics in his water. I'll keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days. He did go poop last night, and it was normal, so no problem there. :)

The pigs' new pen is actually just a corner of my big free-range pen the chickens, goats and pigs were all sharing. I just think Bugsy may not have liked the fact that he didn't have as much roaming area.