Penning up calf at night

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
your doing alot better at milking her.hang in there an youll get beeter.you could milk her 3x a day.an let the calf suck 3x as well.

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

I need to do some thinking on the schedule. Milking 3x a day might work well for now...

(I still almost can't believe I've gotten this far on the project - with a green cow and a green milk maid :D - maybe it's because we're both Irish and green is our lucky color)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
BeardedChick said:
(I still almost can't believe I've gotten this far on the project - with a green cow and a green milk maid :D - maybe it's because we're both Irish and green is our lucky color)
4leafclover.gif
Being Irish is lucky period! Hello from a fellow Irishwoman!

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe the 'cow' gene comes from Ireland... The family near us that we buy milk from is also Irish. :) Every one of them is a redhead!

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Penned up the calf for about 5 hours and got 16 oz. of milk out of two quarters (I left the other two for the calf). I presume there would have been about a quart if I'd milked both sides...

The side that I didn't milk has a *very* sore looking teat. Is there anything I can do? I saw something about taping one up to keep the calf off of it. Would that help mama to heal up?

Seeing how rough the calf is on the udder, I almost think it's kinder to milk the poor cow and bucket feed the calf! Geeze, those calves are rough on mama!! She gets more irritated at the calf boxing her in the udder than she ever gets at me.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you can put bagg balm or utter butter on her teat.it sounds like the teat is chapped.

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lol, that makes more sense! I was picturing doing it after I milk, and couldn't figure out what the heck... :)

I could put a little plain petroleum jelly on it after milking just in case the calf doesn't strip it all off, too.

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bag balm helped alot...

I milked out 22 oz. today w/o letting the calf out to 'help'. I know there was plenty left for the calf, so maybe tomorrow we can hit 30 oz.

:ya

It's small steps, but it was nice to have to get out a bigger jar to store the milk. The bottle kids will get it this evening with their milk ration.

Latest posts