Pepperweed trouble, food plots?

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a small padock for my 2 goats... probably a little under 1/2 acre. It is on a hill, and on the upper side i have horrible trouble with pepperweed. Incase you dont know what that is its a really annoying stocky plant that eat all the nutrients from the soil never seems to go away and is real hot when you chew on it, so my goats wont touch it. It grows back every year. So if any of you know how ro get rid of it let me know. And i am doing a food plot this year. Info is appreciated☺

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Burn it. I use my dragon propane burner for some tough stuff. I keep at it as it begins to emerge as no leaf, no life, eventually. You may need to till up the roots. I don't know a plant by that name. Maybe call your extension agent for help.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Burning won't kill it. It has too many reserves in the root system.
From Latestarter's links:
Prescribed Fire Burning actively growing perennial pepperweed is not recommended as shoots rapidly regrow shortly after fire. Like mowing, it can be helpful for removing old growth material and is also acceptable as a means to dispose of plant
Of the herbicides listed, the only one I would consider safe is triclopyr. I have used it a lot and have never had any problems with it.
pepperweed.jpg

(Garlon3 or Remedy Ultra) Triclopyr @ 3 quarts/acre.. 5% chem to water ratio. Spray during Flower bud stage in spring or in the fall to rosettes.
Selective; safe for most perennial grasses; add 0.25% volume to volume non ionic surfactant ; labeled for riparian areas and use near water bodies;
chemically mow second application: 2 quarts/ac is effective.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! Do you know what is the safest pesticide? My older goat is REALLY sensitive, and if she reacts to something she'll break out in blisters.:( Like she even reacts to SafeGaurd dewormer. I normally am all organic/natural kind of person, but i see there is no way to get rid of these without chemicals. And any help on food plots? I would like anything that i dont need to till for, because i dont know how to use the machines. Thanks all!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Thanks! Do you know what is the safest pesticide? My older goat is REALLY sensitive, and if she reacts to something she'll break out in blisters.:( Like she even reacts to SafeGaurd dewormer. "
I can't help with that aspect.
I am not a goat person--cattle only.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goats are typically more browsers than grazers... They tend to prefer woody plants and eat leaves, stems, bark, pine needles, juniper, cedar, brush and that sort of thing rather than "grasses". No pesticide is "safe", I mean they are designed to kill... something... Most will tell you on the label how long you have to wait after using them before you should allow animals to eat where they've been used. But I think what you meant was herbicide (vice pesticide)... designed to kill plants. :)

Most any seed that you'll sow to do a feed plot will require that the soil be "broken" (tilled/loose) in order for the seed to germinate and take root. Also, the chemical balance of the soil will affect what will or won't grow. You should contact the county extension agent and ask them to help you. they can do a soil analysis and tell you exactly what needs to be done and how to go about it. Adjusting the acidity/PH of the soil will also help you control many weeds as they have preferences just like grasses do.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! Do you know what is the safest pesticide? My older goat is REALLY sensitive, and if she reacts to something she'll break out in blisters.:( Like she even reacts to SafeGaurd dewormer. I normally am all organic/natural kind of person, but i see there is no way to get rid of these without chemicals. And any help on food plots? I would like anything that i dont need to till for, because i dont know how to use the machines. Thanks all!

I have a question for you. Why are you keeping a goat that breaks out in blisters ?

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I was milking her, but dried her up a week ago. I think i might breed her again, but if not she is just my pet. I have kept her pretty clear of everything she might react to, and other than that she is a pretty healthy goat. My other goats are for meat/breeding only.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Goats are typically more browsers than grazers... They tend to prefer woody plants and eat leaves, stems, bark, pine needles, juniper, cedar, brush and that sort of thing rather than "grasses". No pesticide is "safe", I mean they are designed to kill... something... Most will tell you on the label how long you have to wait after using them before you should allow animals to eat where they've been used. But I think what you meant was herbicide (vice pesticide)... designed to kill plants. :)

Most any seed that you'll sow to do a feed plot will require that the soil be "broken" (tilled/loose) in order for the seed to germinate and take root. Also, the chemical balance of the soil will affect what will or won't grow. You should contact the county extension agent and ask them to help you. they can do a soil analysis and tell you exactly what needs to be done and how to go about it. Adjusting the acidity/PH of the soil will also help you control many weeds as they have preferences just like grasses do.

Yes very true, they do prefer leaves, plants etc. over grass but i dont have very much money right now (I don't work so have no real income, I'm too young) and bushes or the like would probably cost a lot. I am pretty sure the soil around here is more acidic. Once i accidentally spilled some wheat, and it grew really well, so do you think that would work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts