Pepperweed trouble, food plots?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've heard that wheat straw is bad for goats. I have no idea about actual wheat growing... I understand rye grass is good for them. You have to be careful with some kinds of fescue as well as that can poison them. Any bushes you'd buy and plant, the goats would wipe out in a matter of days. They'd need years of growth to become established for the goats to browse on them.The goats would probably enjoy just plain old woody weeds over any grass that you plant. You'd just need to give it time to grow back between times that your goats are out there eating it.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well I was milking her, but dried her up a week ago. I think i might breed her again, but if not she is just my pet. I have kept her pretty clear of everything she might react to, and other than that she is a pretty healthy goat. My other goats are for meat/breeding only.
Why would you want to breed her and get more of the same issues and more monetary expenditures. This makes no sense. I would place her in the for meat group for some payback.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not having a clue where you live, it is beyond difficult for anyone to suggest what browse you might plant that would be hardy enough to withstand heavy grazing pressure and not die out quickly.
In my area, year round I see goats turned into pastures to control Yaupon, which is part of the holly family, and is an evergreen. A fast growing, woody stemmed perennial. Extremely difficult to completely eradicate.
In summer, they eat the annual Wooly Croton, commonly called goatweed. It will however take over anywhere it grows.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Why would you want to breed her and get more of the same issues and more monetary expenditures. This makes no sense. I would place her in the for meat group for some payback.

Yeah I know... i should but she is my only "pet" goat. Besides, if she is in a good mood she will let people sit on her back and shell walk around. I also now that is not good for her, but she doesn't mind too much. None of her babies have ever had problems.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not having a clue where you live, it is beyond difficult for anyone to suggest what browse you might plant that would be hardy enough to withstand heavy grazing pressure and not die out quickly.
In my area, year round I see goats turned into pastures to control Yaupon, which is part of the holly family, and is an evergreen. A fast growing, woody stemmed perennial. Extremely difficult to completely eradicate.
In summer, they eat the annual Wooly Croton, commonly called goatweed. It will however take over anywhere it grows.

Sorry! I live in central Virginia right next to the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Lynchburg VA. I cant plant anything that would hurt horses either, because occasionally i have to put my horse in there. Can I plant goatweed? Is too much toxic?

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
oh! I just looked up pictures of goatweed and i used to have plenty of it in there but she ate it all. You said it was an annual, but will it drop seeds and grow back?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As stated, goatweed will take over anywhere it gets a hold. Out here it's a noxious weed and one that isn't really wanted. I don't believe horses will touch goatweed, but don't think it's toxic to horses. You should put your location in your profile, that way when you ask for help/advice, folks won't have to always ask where you're located. If they're anything like me, they'll forget that you've said before in "some post" where you are.