Percheron X pony mare

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Karma said:
I don't know in the harnessed pics it does look like she has a slight dip in the back though in the second picture with your sister her back looks normal though her back feet are way under her which can round the back some, I think she would benefit from building her topline either way. Some horses appear a bit swayed, especially when they have been out of work and lost muscling along the topline/abdomin however their back can be built back up. This is something I would definitely talk to the vet about to see if she is just lacking good topline muscling or if she actually has a sway back (also why I mentioned double checking her age before). It's really hard to tell from pictures of horses who are not set up square and on even flat ground.
Ok... So I'm not just crazy! Definitely a good thought though! I agree with the statement that it could just be loss of muscle in her back, if she hasn't been worked. The vet should be able to tell.

Oh, and sorry, I don't know anything about that disease. I do know though, that "Polysaccharide Storage" is something about storing large molecules of food. Just went through it in biology. :D I would suggest checking on Wikipedia about it. It looks like they have a lot of good info.

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The vet said her back looks great. She said she'll be super comfy to ride bareback, and that it's not a problem. We'll be working her though, so it may improve.

Taffy does need to lose a little weight though... She's 950# now, and her previous owner said she was around 750# over the summer while being driven. Of course, a little exra fat in the winter never hurt anybody... ;)

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So glad she's all set! And your vet is right! I love to ride my mare bareback, just for that very reason! As a matter of fact, I never put the saddle on he unless she is acting up (which is rare). Enjoy her lots!