Perspective on inflamation and health

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So one time talking to a health nut relative, they were going off on how when scientists and medical companies grow stuff in labs to do experiments with they are using those peatree dishes to grow bacteria, cells, penicillin, you name it...

I probably spelled peatree dish wrong. not sure the right spelling...

But anyhow, in talking to this person, it came up that the peatree dishes use chicken embryo material in them. In other words chicken egg parts.

This is partly why some people have allergic reactions to eggs.

To explain it more clearly...

You get shots from the doctor's office your whole life time. And the stuff in the shots was grown in labs on these types of dishes which had the chicken embryo material in there to grow it on before they process and harvest it.

Anyway, for the rest of us this isn't bad. But knowing these could change a lot of perspective about what kinds of meat we can grow at home because we would be less likely to have reactions from say... rabbit meat, or duck meat compared to chicken products. And its mostly chicken products they do this with because chicken products are so farmed out that they are the least cost. (And they want to make a profit.)

So if people properly educated each other about this and the health benefits of rabbit meat. (Which is also lower cholesterol than a lot of other meats supposedly,...)

You'd think people would then think...maybe we should do more rabbits?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hardly ever go to a doctor. I don't take flu shots, never have. My flu medicine is home made elderberry syrup. I think I may have had the flu maybe 10 years ago, I got real sick, fever 103, but I still went to work. Everyone at work was sick, so what the heck. I didn't go to the doctor then, just toughed out whatever it was. I didn't know about elderberry syrup then, but I do now! I take no prescriptions at all. Every great once in awhile, I know I am sick and go to the doctor for proper medication to knock it out, but that's it.

So I don't have the exposure to egg yolks growing various medications in petri dishes. I can fully enjoy fresh eggs and chicken meat. My favorite is old laying hens, canned in a jar.

It is mostly vaccinations that are grown in egg yolks, flu more specifically. Do your research on ANY prescription side effects. My husband had a triple bypass open heart surgery in 2015. Of course, he was loaded up on medications. The side effects were bad. Memory loss so bad that he could not remember from one day to the next, thanks to statin drugs. The blood pressure prescription lowered his blood pressure to the "accepted" level, so low that he could not function and felt lousy all the time. He is off that stuff now, only taking fish oil for his heart and vascular system. Blood pressure is a little high, but that's where he operates.

Take turmeric for inflammation and to boost your immunity. Look for foods that provide nutrients, better yet, grow your own, if possible.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hardly ever go to a doctor. I don't take flu shots, never have. My flu medicine is home made elderberry syrup. I think I may have had the flu maybe 10 years ago, I got real sick, fever 103, but I still went to work. Everyone at work was sick, so what the heck. I didn't go to the doctor then, just toughed out whatever it was. I didn't know about elderberry syrup then, but I do now! I take no prescriptions at all. Every great once in awhile, I know I am sick and go to the doctor for proper medication to knock it out, but that's it.

So I don't have the exposure to egg yolks growing various medications in petri dishes. I can fully enjoy fresh eggs and chicken meat. My favorite is old laying hens, canned in a jar.

It is mostly vaccinations that are grown in egg yolks, flu more specifically. Do your research on ANY prescription side effects. My husband had a triple bypass open heart surgery in 2015. Of course, he was loaded up on medications. The side effects were bad. Memory loss so bad that he could not remember from one day to the next, thanks to statin drugs. The blood pressure prescription lowered his blood pressure to the "accepted" level, so low that he could not function and felt lousy all the time. He is off that stuff now, only taking fish oil for his heart and vascular system. Blood pressure is a little high, but that's where he operates.

Take turmeric for inflammation and to boost your immunity. Look for foods that provide nutrients, better yet, grow your own, if possible.

I didn't know that remedy about elderberry syrup. I'll look into that a bit more.

And thanks for your comment.

Its pretty crazy what they do with our food now. And sorry to hear your husband had problems.

But I'm grateful to learn from this.

I'm at least grateful also that duck and rabbit products aren't tampered with like chicken stuff.

Is it hard to can meat? It sounds like you meant old laying hen meat canned in (mason?) jars?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the word you were looking for is Petri dish. While chick embryos (still in the egg!) are sometimes used to create vaccines, there are many types of tissue used, from many different sources - some are human. ;) It isn't only about economics; some things just grow better in one type of tissue rather than another. Some cell lines are decades old; give them the right chemical broth, and these cells will replicate virtually forever, so they also are readily available and cheap to use.

IMO, anyone who is stressing about how a vaccine is or was created is grinding their gears unnecessarily. Every time you get a scratch, you inoculate yourself with foreign material. If you accidentally bite your cheek while eating, you are putting whatever is in your mouth in direct contact with your bloodstream, which has the potential of creating an out-of-control immune response. It most definitely does not take a syringe to create allergies - my younger brother, who has had some food allergies/sensitivities all of his life, developed some new ones after a bout of norovirus. If you're familiar with "leaky gut syndrome," you know that you can develop sensitivity to almost anything you eat, whatever its source; while proteins are the most common allergens, it can happen with virtually anything. Any exposure can trigger an allergic reaction in a person so inclined. In spite of what some people may want to believe, rabbits are not hypoallergenic; I know of several people who are allergic to rabbits [including a certain rabbit judge/ARBA office holder)]. Perhaps because their long hair tends to trap dander, Angora rabbits seem to be more likely to cause a problem for an allergic person than the shorter coated breeds.

Sounds like your health nut relative may have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, at least to their own peace of mind. :rolleyes: There are benefits and risks to any potential food (for example, rabbit meat is low in cholesterol, but it is also so low in fat that depending too much on rabbit meat as a food source is actually dangerous). Rabbit meat can certainly have a place in a healthy diet, but so can chicken and/or eggs.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes.

Usually I don't listen to the health nut relative for this very reason. They spend too much time on it also I think.

But just this one idea was interesting because a lot of people in our family do react to the store bought eggs, but not eggs raised on real farms.

Its really weird to see this, but I saw this first hand.

At first we saw family members getting sick from the white store eggs but not the brown ones. And this didn't make any sense, but then we noticed the brown ones were more natural and stuff.

So normally I don't really go the health nut peoples ideas also because they seem so fanatical and excessive. Its just on this one idea there are people who will get sick from heavily tampered with eggs.

But people are also seeing that when someone is heavily allergic to chicken eggs, they will 'usually' not have any problems with duck eggs or other eggs. (Could be from the medical and chemical tampering that caused it.)

Well anyway thank you for your comments and ideas. I appreciate it.

I hope this helps.

But some of you probably already knew this. And may know more than me.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So... wanted to clarify there's that one line when you said rabbits are not hypoallergenic.

Did you mean cause people to have hypoallergic reactions?

I want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you on this.

And yeah we do have a lot of food allergies in the family. (But a lot of people in the family have had to have shots early in life often also due to respiratory problems etc, and other things. So its almost like one illness was traded for another.)

I hadn't heard that rabbit meat was too low in fat to the point that eating it often could be bad for you?

How often is too much then for rabbits? Or would you be able to offset that with just naturally having other things on the plate? How much of a factor is this? (This is a bit of a downer. I had wanted to do rabbit meat a lot since ground beef in my area is now almost $6 a pound. Chicken meat in my area is now almost $5 a pound. And these are the Walmart cheaper prices. :O Crazy right? This has boosted my interest in rabbits recently thinking that I could eliminate a lot of grocery purchases by home hobby farming.)

The next lockdown will raise that up probably another $3 a pound each and across the board. (And I do think they will try this because Europe appears to be already moving this way and our stock system is too heavily tied to theirs.)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes I can chicken meat in jars. I simmer the bones for broth and can that too. I raise 2 feeder pigs every year, sell one, keep one. I raise sheep, there is always lamb in the freezer. I currently have a steer for beef that will go to slaughter in March. We have 8 acres.

Rabbit meat is good. It has practically no fat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil to other foods on your plate and you’ll be ok. Your brain is mostly composed of fat. No fat, you are brain dead. LOL LOL

If you butcher chickens, they often have yellow fat pads, save the fat, render it and keep in refrigerator or freeze it in small amounts. Use it in cooking.

Do you live in town or on acreage?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes I can chicken meat in jars. I simmer the bones for broth and can that too. I raise 2 feeder pigs every year, sell one, keep one. I raise sheep, there is always lamb in the freezer. I currently have a steer for beef that will go to slaughter in March. We have 8 acres.

Rabbit meat is good. It has practically no fat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil to other foods on your plate and you’ll be ok. Your brain is mostly composed of fat. No fat, you are brain dead. LOL LOL

If you butcher chickens, they often have yellow fat pads, save the fat, render it and keep in refrigerator or freeze it in small amounts. Use it in cooking.

Do you live in town or on acreage?

That's neat.

People used to think you couldn't can meat.

I like that you are self sufficient also.

Didn't know about the fat pads.

Thanks a bunch.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMHO, meat should be canned in smaller jars, probably quart size at the largest and in a pressure canner and not just a water bath canner. I can meat when there's not enough room in the freezer. Several years ago, there was a huge sale on frozen turkeys so we now have canned turkey. Although, they're commercially raised birds so they don't have a whole lot of flavor, but it's still nice to have canned meat on the shelf. The meat can be cut off the bone, then the bones boiled for broth and that used to cover the meat in the jars. Slice off the meat, put that back in the refrigerator, boil the bones, then sterilize the jars, fill them with the meat and use the broth to cover and then process.

Cubed beef is easy to can and bone beef broth is also easy. Tastes way better than the commercial canned stuff, too.

If your people are sensitive to commercially raised eggs, instead of looking at petri dishes, look at how commercially raised eggs are produced. Because there's tons of birds all crowded together, they do a lot of medicated feed. "You are what you eat" and I'm sure it's the same for chickens. Get a couple hens for your back yard and feed them table scraps and let them forage around the yard if possible. You'll have much better quality eggs than commercially grown ones.