Pesticide Toxicity

babsbag

Herd Master
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,881
Reaction score
9,287
Points
583
Location
Anderson, CA
I came across this chart the other day and thought I would post the link here. This is kinda my soap box...I wish manufacturers would put it on the label for all to see and not hide on page 15 in tiny little type. I think they should put a bee with the international / through it when it is toxic and put it right on the front of the product. So many people think they are safe for bees since they are "natural" or "organic". They don't realize that there is still an application window they should follow. And the people selling the stuff usually don't know either. Makes me crazy.

And what average gardener knows what Neonicitinoid is and doesn't it sound wonderful to treat the soil and have the tree or plant suddenly be free of pests. I just don't think that most people think this through.

*gets off her soap box*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees
 

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Joined
Apr 12, 2011
Messages
1,377
Reaction score
566
Points
273
Location
Virginia
Good to know. I was spraying roundup the other day, then got nervous that I hurt the bees. I don't use any insecticide on my property. Roundup is the only chemical that I use. It looks like it's non toxic.
 

babsbag

Herd Master
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,881
Reaction score
9,287
Points
583
Location
Anderson, CA
I use roundup too but I do it when the bees aren't active, even though it is supposed to be ok for bees. I guess Monsanto is facing a lawsuit though for Roundup and a link to cancer.
 

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
Messages
3,103
Reaction score
8,016
Points
438
Location
S coastal VA
Roundup? Non-toxic???

WOAH!! I can tell you, from sad experience, that it is highly dangerous. Years back a helper at my farm had been told to NOT use roundup anywhere near pastures. there was some in the garage to use for the gravel driveway ONLY.

He used it on driveway, then decided he spray along fenceline of a pasture where I had my soon to foal mini horses. Two days later, I went into the barn and found aborted foals from both mares -- who were due to foal within the week. Necropsy confirmed the poisoning. Lucky I didn't lose the mares.

Questioning him, I found he had sprayed. Apparently they ate there. :hit
 
Top