Pesticide Toxicity

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I came across this chart the other day and thought I would post the link here. This is kinda my soap box...I wish manufacturers would put it on the label for all to see and not hide on page 15 in tiny little type. I think they should put a bee with the international / through it when it is toxic and put it right on the front of the product. So many people think they are safe for bees since they are "natural" or "organic". They don't realize that there is still an application window they should follow. And the people selling the stuff usually don't know either. Makes me crazy.

And what average gardener knows what Neonicitinoid is and doesn't it sound wonderful to treat the soil and have the tree or plant suddenly be free of pests. I just don't think that most people think this through.

*gets off her soap box*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good to know. I was spraying roundup the other day, then got nervous that I hurt the bees. I don't use any insecticide on my property. Roundup is the only chemical that I use. It looks like it's non toxic.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use roundup too but I do it when the bees aren't active, even though it is supposed to be ok for bees. I guess Monsanto is facing a lawsuit though for Roundup and a link to cancer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Roundup? Non-toxic???

WOAH!! I can tell you, from sad experience, that it is highly dangerous. Years back a helper at my farm had been told to NOT use roundup anywhere near pastures. there was some in the garage to use for the gravel driveway ONLY.

He used it on driveway, then decided he spray along fenceline of a pasture where I had my soon to foal mini horses. Two days later, I went into the barn and found aborted foals from both mares -- who were due to foal within the week. Necropsy confirmed the poisoning. Lucky I didn't lose the mares.

Questioning him, I found he had sprayed. Apparently they ate there. :hit