Pet not Pork: am I feeding her enough

Teylah

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@Teylah tomatoes are fine for pigs, but they are very acid and should be fed in small amounts, even cooked/processed.

If I remember correctly piglets need 35% protein in their food for the first few months.I can't remember the extract time frame now. Your best bet would be a formulated piglet ration from a feedstore and feed her as much as she can eat (enthusiastically) in 10 minutes, twice a day. You can feed her some snacks in-between. Just watch she doesn't get fat. Pigs are little greedy guts and will eat more than they need if given the opportunity.
My issue is finding a feedstore that has anything for pigs, I live in a rural (ish) area in perth but every feed store I go to just give me the same speech "we don't have anything for pigs...just horses,chickens and cattle." and then I get "why the hell do you want a pig for?" face....haha but I shall indevour to find her something to balance her diet

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You'll have to find a place that sells feeds to livestock farmers, like a farmer's co-op. Be prepared to buy her feed in bulk then, 50-100 lbs bags.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also if your local feed store doesn't
Carry pig feed. But the feed company that they buy from does make pig feed ask your feed store if they can special order it for you
It might cost more depending on the feed store and I would order 2bags at a time just in case and like sumi said you will have to buy it in 50pound sacks or higher

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just because you don't want to raise her for slaughter doesn't mean she shouldn't get a proper hog diet. Hogs need lots of protein to grow...whether for breeding, meat, or pets, and need to have that need met to be healthy. I'd recommend if you don't want to feed a complete pig starter feed, to add some soybean meal to the stuff you give her.