Petrified of my new horse

lfreem2

Just born
Reaction score
I take no offense! I have NEVER had a panic situation in all my 42 years, and this was the first time that I reacted as such. I think if the poor fellow was not 16+ hands, I would have felt differently. But he looked to me like an elephant in my pasture. HUGE! I was actually tempted to go to one of them hypnotists to try to solve the situation!

What's funny is that no matter who was in the pasture with me, the dang horse would run directly to me--and I was the one who was most afraid! Last night when I went to say to goodbye to him and I rubbed his head, he looked at me with his kind eye as if to say, "you didn't even give me a chance...." I swear I balled like a little baby over it!

Even today as the woman who bought him trailered him away, I just fought back the tears.

I know I've placed him in a good situation, which warms my heart. I guess I'm just astounded I how I reacted to the whole thing! I'm disappointed in myself! But I tell ya, a few hours after this horse left my property I was calmer, my goats were calmer (probably because they were sensing my panic) and I felt more relaxed. I am still disappointed in myself, but I felt that my world that was off kilter was suddenly righted when he left my property. I don't think I will ever be able to make heads or tales of what occurred or my reaction, but I've since heard this is common.

Go figure!

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. After almost 8 years away from horses I went through a long run with everything that could go wrong running through my head every time I got near a horse. Never experienced anything like it before or since.

You'll know when the time is right and you find the right horse for you.

equinehugger3

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:hugs
I have a slightly alike experience. A couple years ago, I took out my lease farm's mare, Penny, to the local state park. Penny is absolutely gorgeous, and super athletic. She's a Polocrosse champ, and LOVES to run as fast as possible. :) However, she's actually a great horse for trails, and usually doesn't spook. On our way back, she must have smelled a bear or something (Possible around here), and she bolted with me. I panicked, and completely lost my common sense. Instead of making sure I didn't lose the stirrups, leaning forward so I didn't fall off, and trying to stop her, I stayed straight up, tugged on the reins, and accidentally lost a stirrup. From then, it was downhill, obviously. :p I tumbled off onto my shoulder, my wrist pinned underneath me. I ended up breaking my wrist and getting a contusion on my knee. I wasn't able to ride all summer, and only had time to ride a little in the fall. :( Needless to say, being the wimp I could be, I was terrified to go any faster than a canter again. :/ Eventually the daring part of me overtook my fear, and I'm now back to cantering and beyond. :) Don't worry; You'll get over your fear, and you'll have tons of fun with him and your son! :) :hugs

redfarmhouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We got horses for the first time last year. We had ridden off and on and our boys had all taken lessons for years. But when we brought them home the responsibility of being in charge of the horses and the people that got on or around them (including myself) set in and scared me to death. With time and experience that fear is going away.

What we did is hire a trainer that teaches Clinton Anderson techniques. We had so much to learn and bought the wrong horses (5 of them) to begin with so it has been slow. It has been almost a year and we are just starting to ride. What we have gained in the last year is handling them with confidence. If you can't do that on the ground, you have no business getting up on their back.

Bottom line for us: time and training disolved fear. That is when the fun starts.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
trust me u shouldn't give up. for a horse rite now i have a gelding and we're not exactly 'compatable' we have a i say u say relationship. i still enjoy riding him though and running on a horse with confidence is like nothing else. make sure u get a horse u like and just enjoy it. it is fun and after a few rides you'll wonder what u where ever scared about. my horse is an arabian and that in not my 'breed' so to speak. i'm not scared just remember that as long as u and ur horse get along u will be much happier.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried being out with the horse and just petting him and watching him be a horse?
When I got my 2 I was a little off about them too. But it just took me some time to get to know them and learn their habits, what and how they react to.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well my first horse was 16-18 hands and the sweetest gentelest safest thing you could ask for. you could throw her lead over your neck and she would walk rite by you. she would rest her head on her shoulder. I rode her all the time every where just think of it this way if you have a large horse and a small horse which one will have an easier time bucking and being spunky? the small one. which one are you going to sit on easier? the nice broad backed big one.

siestadancer

Just born
Reaction score
I feel the same way. Wasn't around horses my whole life but realized I was petrified of them last year hanging at a friends barn. I've recently had the opportunity to get horses and the one horse is a thoroughbred....we got her first and she took me for a ride of my life and wouldn't stop! Talk about panic. So we got a horse like yours as well..very kid ready. Great horse. Im not really scared of him, but I am. It is very scary to think they can hurt you in one second. Sooooooo big!!! Im really hoping to overcome my fear!! Good luck with your next horse. Hope it works!,