*Photo Contest-Any Animal* - Cold Weather Crazy - Ends 01/31/2016

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, I noticed there hasn't been a contest in awhile. I was thinking today about all the silly things my animals do when it's cold, especially when there is snow and ice. Thought it might be fun to see if anyone else has captured some of these zany moments on their farm.

There is no posting limit, pictures should just relate to the winter theme - particularly animals doing silly things in the snow and ice. Please share the story behind the picture.

The prize is bragging rights, and sincere appreciation for sharing a good laugh. :D

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am not entering the contest myself, but thought I'd get ideas rolling by posting a few winter pictures. Baymule is correct, we don't get snow very often here in Texas. When we do, my goats are complete babies and hide in the barn or loafing shed, but the dogs seem to enjoy it. The pictures below are from last year (hasn't really snowed this year). Our LGD, Clyde, was holding up the fort at this time last year, because Miller was inside recovering from hip surgery and Avery was still a twinkle in her mama and daddy's eye - hard to believe with how massive she is now. ;)

Clyde has never been much of a grass eater, but after it snowed, he went crazy for it! Lol - it was like a little sniff-it-out treasure hunt.
001 (2).jpg

Found some!
002 (7).jpg

This was when our snow turned to ice. He wasn't really being crazy in this picture (unless you consider walking across that ice-rink of a goat field crazy). I just like the picture. :)
002 (5).jpg

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We sure have had some nice snow days the past few years in North Texas. I was born in Texas and I've lived in Texas most of my life but for four years my family and I lived in Indiana. My siblings and I came to love the snow; we had snowball fights, built snowmen but our favorites were sledding or snowboarding down the giant hills. It was soo much fun. That's why I enjoy the good snows here in Texas. I see it as a gift; a pleasant reminder of our time in Indiana.

The critters aren't always that crazy about it though, especially the chickens; they refuse to step foot outdoors! LOL We've let the goats have run of the yard a couple of times and they have their fun for a little while before heading back into their cozy barns. The best time was when our first does were still juniors; they frolicked all over the yard.

These were from 2010 when we had that wonderful foot-deep snow drop. It did get dangerous the next day when a tree branch fell on the power lines and an electrical cord snapped which was where our rabbit row was located. Thankfully, everyone and every critter was okay.
SS850438_zpsycbpotcz.jpg

SS850427_zpsdb6zefpa.jpg

SS850639_zpszuybhsqr.jpg

Our dog Max loved the snow in his younger days. He's 15 years now so he's slowed down quite a bit.
SS850517_zpsfixj87fe.jpg

Poor Miss Cinnamon was subjected to a photoshoot. She did not want to move!
SS850521_zpshf3ym5ai.jpg

In 2011, we had another lovely snowfall. I love waking up the morning to find a beautiful white blanket covering our little farm.
DSCN5135_zps9mublxek.jpg

DSCN5129_zpsfcyilthp.jpg

DSCN5140_zpsp5zhxdnv.jpg

DSCN5160_zpscwtgysvg.jpg

From 2014: Okay, so the chickens proved me wrong. They did step foot outside. It's only when it's a foot deep they won't. Well, maybe even if it's a half foot, they wouldn't either. :p
DSCN3931_zps2ysigxr7.jpg

2015: The rabbits have always done well with the cold weather. I'm sure they much prefer it over the heat!
DSCN5931_zpsqnar54z6.jpg

DSCN5853_zpsvy5w6cas.jpg

And, lastly, my dog Sally enjoyed herself some snow! I'm sorry it's sideways.
DSCN5918_zpspxtxjtdh.jpg

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)
This is my baby, Corona and my hubby, Shane. As you may notice my hubby drew eyebrows on Corona hahahaha... They made her look soooo funny.
That day it had snowed, and we had been having a lot of fun... It was my first experience with snow and also Corona's. Here my hubby was "eating snow" ... Her face is sooooo awesome... You can almost know she was like... "What a hell, daddy!?" Hahaha
FB_IMG_1452888956474.jpg

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those are fantastic snow pictures! Some beautiful scenery and I really loved the ones of Ms. Chicken and Sally. :)

Thank you! My mom and I took them. :) I meant to say that I really liked your photos too especially the last one; such a perfect shot. Your dog is so adorable in the second shot. :love

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)
This is my baby, Corona and my hubby, Shane. As you may notice my hubby drew eyebrows on Corona hahahaha... They made her look soooo funny.
That day it had snowed, and we had been having a lot of fun... It was my first experience with snow and also Corona's. Here my hubby was "eating snow" ... Her face is sooooo awesome... You can almost know she was like... "What a hell, daddy!?" Hahaha View attachment 13590

Haha!! We used to color on our dog Max (he had a blue circle colored around his eye once or twice to make him look like an Indian dog :D ), White Rock and White Leghorn chickens, and even one of our goats.
SS850071_zpsv2d9rfdb.jpg

Latest posts