1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Making a Pasture -Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

photography~growing your eye challenges #5~ Going Buggy!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by redtailgal, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Apr 13, 2012
    redtailgal

redtailgal New Member

You'll have to look hard for this one.

Find a bug, with a nice background. Get the bug as large as you can in your picture, and make sure that the bug is in focus. (Tip: use the macro feature on your camera if you have it). Feel free to stage a shot if you like. I once took a shot of a large wolf spider driving a tonka truck for a little boy. It was cute. Be creative!

A friend of mine took a pic of a spider on a rose. He used a flashlight to "spotlight" the spider (filtering the light with a sheet of tissue paper). He took she shot later in the evening to get the dark background.

This pic sold, framed as an 11 x 14, for around $100. You can see the pic here

The best time to photograph bugs is in the morning when it's still a little chilly, they will be still longer and more tolerant of your presence. Also, you can take a small spray bottle and mist a spider web or flower to give it that "wet with dew" look. Try different angles......angle plays a HUGE role in photographing bugs.

Work hard on this one, and try to make your bug a pretty pic!

Also, How many of you use a website to advertise your farm? We may see if we can work on getting some good webshots for advertising, if there is any interest.

2. Apr 15, 2012
    HankTheTank

HankTheTank Loving the herd life

Having trouble with this one...I can't find any bugs, and the ones I actually DO find are the ones who want to drink my blood

3. Apr 15, 2012
    redtailgal

redtailgal New Member

lol, well take a pic of a blood sucker!

Flip over rocks, look inside of some flowers.......have you got bees out yet? You farm so surely there is a fly somewhere.

Keep trying, you'll find one. This challenge will be here when you are ready.

4. Apr 16, 2012
    20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill True BYH Addict

Here are my attempts: I had my zoom lens on, which I realize wasn't the best choice, but I was out taking pictures of the goats when I came across this butterfly. On April 15th. that is crazy early for butterflies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

casportpony likes this.
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    crazyland

crazyland Overrun with beasties

Here is some of the many dragonflies we have around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A butterfly on a butterfly bush. Not sure which I like better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spider eating another spider.

[​IMG]

I think that taking pictures of insects is easy. Way to many of them in the country! I just really want a better lense for my camera.

casportpony likes this.
  6. Apr 16, 2012
    redtailgal

redtailgal New Member

20kids:

We arent having butterflies here yet, I am jealous!

You are right, a different lens would have given you a crisper image, but, never miss a shot because you feel that you have the wrong lens. They turned out just fine with the lens you used.

I like the middle shot, because it included the whole bloom on the lilac and because that shape (of the bloom) adds so much visual interest to the pic. I also like the way that butterfly is all spread out showing all the color.

The first shot.......the butterfly flying to the flower. Thats a nice catch just like it is, but if you would have been able to have your other lens and get a sharper image, you could crop out and get a close up shot that showed the whole butterfly and a portion of the bloom........that would be a pic that would make alot of pros jealous, lol.

All of you, feel free to post as many buggy shots as you want.

Nice!

7. Apr 16, 2012
    redtailgal

redtailgal New Member

Crazyland:

These are nice!

The first image is very sharp. Dragon flies are hardly ever still, so the blurriness of the wings is pretty normal. Among the bug photographers, to get a dragonfly from this angle with the wings in focus is a sought after and difficult pic to attain.

The second image is my favorite. From the metadata of the pic, I saw that you are using a panasonic. Is it a point and shoot or a SLR? The reason that I am asking, is that your background is very nice here. The depth of field gives that wonderful background. But, the depth of field is just a tiny bit too narrow, causing the tips of the wings to soften out a little. If you have a slr type camera, you can adjust your F-stop slightly, to keep that background and bring those wingtips into focus. Let me know, if you want further instruction on this (you may already know, lol)
    Anyway, love this pic, wonderful!

THe second pic of the dragonfly: same comments as above.

Your butterflies are nice and focus well, and that is a pretty cool spider! I am partial to spider pics, lol.

Another thing that you may consider........see if you can check to see what metering mode you are in. I think you are either in pattern mode, or multi mode. Try to switch over to spot metering, and see if you get a crisper image. (this will only work if you are using the manual settings and not the preprogramed modes)

8. Apr 16, 2012
    daisychick

daisychick Overrun with beasties

I love taking pictures of bugs!!!

The moth and the bee are from this week. The dragonfly and butterfly are from last summer, but I wanted to share them.

Moth
    [​IMG]
    Bee
    [​IMG]
    Butterfly
    [​IMG]
    Dragonfly
    [​IMG]

casportpony likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2012
    20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill True BYH Addict

Picture of the bee is amazing, Daisychick

10. Apr 16, 2012
    redtailgal

redtailgal New Member

I agree, the Bee is wonderful! Bees are kindof hard sometimes. If you get a chance to shoot another bee, try to lower your angle and get the legs and underbelly (say at a 45 degree angle to the butterfly). This will help with the crispness and at tons of visual interest. Esp if you are fortunate enough to catch one with pollen on the legs..the pollen heavy legs makes for a FABULOUS shot, if you can get it.

I love the butterfly! Perfectly shot, wonderful angle, crisp and almost 3D. That one belongs on a greeting card!