Photos of the inside of your goat barns please!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm starting the planning process for the chicken coop to be turned into the new goat barn (with the small 6x6 house as a summer run-in for them in the field).

My building is a 90 year old, about 13x17ft workshop-turn-chicken coop with a storage loft. It fronts onto my driveway just across from their pasture. Right next to the front door is a large "bunker" that is about 4.5ft deep with a wood cover. It takes on water in the spring and we don't use it for anything. We're planning on filling it half way with gravel and building a deck over it as a "sleeping deck" with stairs up to it ... somewhere for the goats to hang out. I'm confident our girls will use it, they like to sleep just inside their pop door during the day lol. I need to include at least 1 kidding stall, I've had suggestions to make it 4x6ft. I will have moveable panels for a second temporary kidding stall which will be stored in a lean-to storage area off the side of the barn.

My pen off the back would be hopefully (still need to measure) about 13x20ft, maybe more and made out of the same buck fence I used in the horse pasture, just drastically smaller with 4 lines of hotwire and some plastic chainlink just under the rails to keep the ladies from escaping. The goat barn will also get a lean-to run-in off the back in their dry-lot.

The purpose of this post? I want to see photos of the inside of your goat barns!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No one willing to show off? I can hardly believe it!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:lol: It is raining here and my barn is messy! Bump this back up in a few days.....if the mud here EVER dries out....or when it finally freezes solid!

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 3 horse stalls, all 12 x 12 that are always open for the goats to go in and out and then a very big covered area for them to hang out for shade and rain relief.

then I have a 40 x 60 shed that is for kidding....stalls are 4 x 6 and 4 x 8 for does wtih trips and quads. need some room to maneuver so they don't get squished.

I don't stall goats. They have run in capabilities with open stalls and barns.

Only in kidding pens for maybe 2-3 days....maybe longer depending on if a problem. Healthy kids and moms don't even go into the kidding pens. Only runty types that need a few days to adjust.

So I leave open the barn with the kidding pens and leave those doors open also so goats can seek shelter in that barn also if they feel like it.

Other than that I am on the "do as you please" type system..LOL

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hahaha... I know how you feel, it's mud central here and I'm trying to build a run-in shed!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I have 3 horse stalls, all 12 x 12 that are always open for the goats to go in and out and then a very big covered area for them to hang out for shade and rain relief.

then I have a 40 x 60 shed that is for kidding....stalls are 4 x 6 and 4 x 8 for does wtih trips and quads. need some room to maneuver so they don't get squished.

I don't stall goats. They have run in capabilities with open stalls and barns.

Only in kidding pens for maybe 2-3 days....maybe longer depending on if a problem. Healthy kids and moms don't even go into the kidding pens. Only runty types that need a few days to adjust.

So I leave open the barn with the kidding pens and leave those doors open also so goats can seek shelter in that barn also if they feel like it.

Other than that I am on the "do as you please" type system..LOL
LOL well my "barn" is quite a bit smaller! I'm planning/thinking of having one fixed 4x6ft kidding stall and panels I can set up for temporary stalls. My building will have a small dry yard off the back and a lean-to on the back of it. I

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
My barn is more of a shed. I built a 14x24 building with the thought of breeding my mare, who I built the barn for, and having two horses. So along one side is a storage area about 3x24, and the rest was divided into two 11x12 stalls (each with a large exterior door for run-in capability) with a removable wall to make one large foaling stall. The wall was simply a series of 2x10's that slid into a slot on each wall that was made by mounting a couple of 2x4's 2+" apart.

The mare couldn't maintain a pregnancy, grew old and died happy a little over a year ago. I reconfigured the barn for goats. I moved the wall over to make one largish stall with an exterior door that is about 5x12, and I recently made a matching stall on the other end that is about 4x12. The remaining middle area is where everyone lives together peacefully (I wish!)

I have a "box" (4x4x8) that the buck lives in that can be moved by dh and I with some grunting and wincing. It has housed various flocks of chickens and broodies and turkeys. The box comfortably sleeps two goats on a conjugal visit.:D

PattiXmas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My "barn" is a 12' x 12' gambrel roof shed from Menards. Our chicken coop (houses only 2 hens and 1 rooster currently) is built on to the side of the barn.

We are "city" farmers, so we are just beginners, but I don't think we did too bad.

Daisy looking at Stella the State Fair rescue kitty -

DSC_0002-1.jpg

The girls in their stalls. Currently, we have straw stacked up in the middle where we plan on putting the kids once they arrive.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Better shot of the gates hubby made. He is going to be replacing the cattle panels with wooden slats shortly. We ran out of time and just put up the panels.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Daisy and her hay feeder. This was actually one that had two sides but hubby just cut it in half and attached it to OSB board. It works great but he wants the barn to be pretty so he plans to re-do these as well.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Better view of the entire barn -

DSC_0009-1.jpg

The chicken apartment for now - we think in the spring, we can put the silkie chicks here and move the bigger chickens to another area. Again, we ran out of time -

DSC_0010-1.jpg

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was hoping you'd post PattiXmas! My building is 13x17, it's an existing ice house from the early 1900s.

PattiXmas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I was hoping you'd post PattiXmas! My building is 13x17, it's an existing ice house from the early 1900s.
Umm, would have posted sooner, but had to clean the barn first;). It was full of tools because we aren't quite finished. I will say that pallets can be your friend because of the extremely cheap price (free) and real hard wood.