Picked up our goat from the butcher today...

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks That is good to know for the future. I have ND Does and I suppose if I ever end up with any goats I cant rehome I know what I can do with them. Ill make sure to wether if I decide to put any in the freezer. Thanks!

Any good place to look for some good goat recipes for the future.

We eat our own chickens and turkeys and next year we will do duck and maybe quail. We also are going to try to barter with our neighbor and hopeful get a processed pig for the freezer next year. And DH is hoping to start hunting deer next fall also. Id be happy if we could provide all of our own meat from now on. So goat may eventually be on the menu.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think goat takes a little getting use to. It is very lean, like deer meat so fat needs to be added if you want burgers. We love deer meat. OUR FAV! We try to fill the freezer but always run out in the year. We do our own chickens, turkeys, ducks, the geese we sell to a market.
Aging the goat is important IMO.
We do a dry rub on the ribs.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a Jamaican and Indian version of Curried Goat.
Both are excellent if you like curry.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all! I have no idea if the butcher aged them at all, but we made curry with one of the legs and it was AMAZING! DROOL! Not bucky or goaty at all. I am going to try a rosemary loin next.
:drool

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi all! I have no idea if the butcher aged them at all, but we made curry with one of the legs and it was AMAZING! DROOL! Not bucky or goaty at all. I am going to try a rosemary loin next.

Cool.
Since I don't eat my own goats, you have got me in the mood to go to my Jamaican spot.

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh yay! Im glad it turned out well. The Rosemary loin sound like its going to be very tasty. Let us know how it is, maybe even post the recipe.

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think goat takes a little getting use to. It is very lean, like deer meat so fat needs to be added if you want burgers. We love deer meat. OUR FAV! We try to fill the freezer but always run out in the year. We do our own chickens, turkeys, ducks, the geese we sell to a market.
Aging the goat is important IMO.
We do a dry rub on the ribs.
I was wondering since you said deer is your fav, if you have any good relatively easy recipes you could pass along. I was lucky enough just today to get offered some deer meat by my Dads neighbor.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure... depends on what meat you have. The backstraps (that is what we call them) are the best and we have 2 recipes we usually use. Most of the other meat we cube or grind and make burgers, chili, taco meat etc.
If you want the backstrap recipes it will take a bit to type up, maybe I should put them under recipes that way others can add theirs too.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was wondering since you said deer is your fav, if you have any good relatively easy recipes you could pass along. I was lucky enough just today to get offered some deer meat by my Dads neighbor.
I cook with deer all the time. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought beef at the store. We usually slice the loin then bread and fry them. I will marinade in Dale's first. I also just made a wonderful stew. Made it just like beef stew only marinaded the meat again in Dale's. Have made roasts. Brined meat overnight then made just like beef. We had a bunch ground and mixed with bacon and jalapenos. Makes exellent burgers. Use it in chili and spaghetti too.

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im not sure what cuts I will get. I think I will get them tomorrow. Ill let you all know. I did find a recipe that was a stew and it looked so good.
Posting in the recipe section would be a great idea since this thread is intended for goat meat.