Picky cow??

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, I should explain my hay feeder. It's a wagon that has been modified to have a ramp at both ends. The original one lays on several tires that are covered with rubber matting & is inside of half a hay ring that is secured to the trailer. All of this pokes inside the pasture at the fence line. The other ramp drops to allow loading of 2 round bales at a time.
Since I'm usually only feeding 2 cows - at most - this had been a HUGE success.
My hay guy is great & has always provided really nice hay - AND loaded it into the trailer! 🥰
I had 2 bales delivered a week or so ago & dropped the first one onto the ring last weekend. It's not Bad... just so-so. The only problem I can see is that there seemed to be a significant amount of pine needles in the outer layers. Most of that I peeled off & used as bedding. But Eva is not fond of this. She is eating it - but definitely not scarfing it down like previous bales. She seems to scouring the pasture for any remaining grass & then going to the bale.
I have 2 choices (unless yall can think of something else)
1. Ignore her 'being picky' and leave the bale - as long as her condition doesn't suffer any.
2. Remove the ring & shove that bale out into the field to rot and drop the 2nd bale

I hate to "waste" a bale. But I know that sometimes they can identify a problem we can't detect.
I don't want to call my hay guy & complain since this is the only time she's rejected hay from him in several seasons of great hay & stellar customer service.
And... if I go through all the effort & waste to remove a brand new bale into the mud & she suddenly decides to be a Cow & eat it.. I'm gonna be 😠

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats are worse, guaranteed! They CAN smell things we can't and have preferences.rather that dump it all, can you pull off a few more layers first?

Feel your pain on loss but...it's an attempt to salvage some....you always have option to dump it all $$ :idunno

If a way, you could dump onto a pallet, cover and when grasses are starting, she can then nibble that one. But have 2nd to eat now.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats are worse, guaranteed! They CAN smell things we can't and have preferences.rather that dump it all, can you pull off a few more layers first?

Feel your pain on loss but...it's an attempt to salvage some....you always have option to dump it all $$ :idunno

If a way, you could dump onto a pallet, cover and when grasses are starting, she can then nibble that one. But have 2nd to eat now.
I was standing out there staring at it a while ago & a 3rd 'option' came to me. IF I can roll it out of the feeder and keep it moving, I can unroll it across the pasture where she can more easily pick through it.
Still will be a huge waste, but might buy me a week or so before I offer the second one? I was counting on these getting me through Jan. It's not going to break me to have to buy more early but this is really NOT the 2weeks to have to find an extra $100
🎄

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe leave it where it is, and up her feed a little? If she is still searching the pasture, then roll it out. Have you checked the second one?