Picky Pigs

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Generally there are very few reasons a pig would not eat something.

1. Sick/Not feeling well
2. To hot
3. Not hungry enough

Most often it is option 3, people tend to over feed pigs, so the pigs can afford to be picky about what they do and do not want. Nothing wrong with that if you are comfortable with it, if you want them to eat everything lower the feed amount a bit. Same answer for grazing, most animals are not going to bother to try to go find feed on their own if all they need and more is in the feed pan.
That's probably what I'm doing. :hide

Though I don't mind continuing until spring/summer hits and we have more grass.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like I said nothing wrong with it so long as you are comfortable with it.

General rule for pigs is you keep upping the feed until food is left over then you back it down a bit. You watch the pig's body condition and if they start to get thin you up t and if they start to get thick you lower it. Pigs are pretty easy to tell condition on. Give it time you will figure it all out and how you like to feed and how you like your pigs to look.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Like I said nothing wrong with it so long as you are comfortable with it.

General rule for pigs is you keep upping the feed until food is left over then you back it down a bit. You watch the pig's body condition and if they start to get thin you up t and if they start to get thick you lower it. Pigs are pretty easy to tell condition on. Give it time you will figure it all out and how you like to feed and how you like your pigs to look.
Thank you. I was actually wondering how to tell if I was feeding them too much. I don't want them to get too terribly fat. Good advice. :thumbsup