Pics of my clan!!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WindyIndy... :frow ... the cutesy reply to your photos is ... how cute, I love the bling on your sheep, etc. ... that leads to eventual disappointment and wonderment in what happened as well as a financial hobby loss . Or would you like the real world answer that will give you a leg up to actualy take pride in you accompishments and make a profit. Here goes... those bling collars on your sheep are a potential choke hold death trap for the sheep. A ram is equal to " ONE HALF of your herd " . So the ram " Chewy" is much more valuable served on the BBQ than in a breeding flock, he will be a step backwards in a meat producing enterprize that would contribute to a long term financial loss . Study and apply your knowledge on real world proper animal husbandry by joining FFA and studying College text books on Animal Husbandry ( not some of the books that some "expert" writes ) as well as your farm's soils, water , and pasture production ( consult with your farm extention agent ) for a successful and profitable enterprize. Have fun ! :celebrate

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The pictures are finally there. Very nice. Seems like you've received responses from both ends of the spectrum. Following the above post I feel I've just walked through a t-storm... and been struck by large hail, a couple of bolts of lightning and ears pierced by thunder. Though all valid points, perhaps a little harsh and laced with vinegar

Since it appears you are NOT a commercial enterprise trying to make a buck at every turn, IMHO, as long as you are happy and healthy, and the herd is happy and healthy, and you can afford it, MORE POWER TO YOU! People own all kinds of "pets" at a huge financial cost/loss.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics, your animals look quite content. Bossroo may have a point about the collars - do you have a way to make them breakaway?

You have what you have - you can cull strongly or not, it's your choice, but do be as objective as you can about which animals you breed, and which you keep. If you are breeding for meat conformation, you're not as likely to get better lambs than their mothers, if you use a ram that doesn't have even better meat conformation. You decide if it's a hobby or a business, but it doesn't hurt to learn how businesses make those objective decisions. Good luck!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can see pictures now! There is nothing wrong with starter sheep being less than perfect. Bossroo is a wealth of information and very helpful on this site, but he is business and not about pets. Never the less, enjoy your sheep. I bought 4 crossbreed ewes and had 5 lambs. They are far from perfect, but produced some nice lambs. I am buying a Dorper ram to upgrade the lambs for better meat production. I am having a blast with my sheep! Your sheep look healthy and happy, have fun.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SO glad they showed up!! I hadn't done anything different yet. ;)

I use the collars that way I can catch them if need be or as something extra to hold onto, not for show or anything. Though I'm glad people like them,lol. I don't have any trees in the pasture only fence/shelter. Will they still harm them? They've had them on for year and never had a problem.

I'm not quite understanding your replies,I'm sorry. Is there something wrong with Chewy? He seems like a nice beefy boy to me, small yes, but he only just turned a year old this month. Chewy's was a single, Padme is from a twin, and Amee is from a triplet and had gotten sick and stunted her growth I think. I don't want to make this a 'business', just as a hobby and maybe make a little in the process. I'm just a country girl at heart and love all things animal, and doing as much 'homegrown' as I can. I love to can/freeze,ferment,back,garden,etc. I'm glad people think they're healthy/happy! I try my hardest to provide the best care (and lots of loving!) I can, my animals mean the world to me. As far as books go, I do a ton of research on the internet (I know I can't trust all that's why I keep a open mind and read lots of different places and weight it all out), and I own the Story's guild to sheep,plus a small collage book from a friend, but it's pretty basic.

I would love a Dorper, but have never seen them around here and I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny in gas and lamb to search and find a 'breeder' or even a 'backyard' one on CL :( Right now I'm just making enough to pay for my truck's gas/insurance, and upkeep of my animals.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think someone mentioned it earlier and I'm not sure where you are but the Extension Agents are usually a wealth of info. We met with our local Agent but since he wasn't really knowledgable about sheep, he brought someine in from Nashville (about an hour further away). University of Tennessee has seminars all throughout the year so check with your Ag University if you have one.

On a less than serious side-note and no offense to Babymule, we prefer the taste of Katahdin to Dorper. ;)

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As for those collars... sooner or later the sheep will put their heads through the fence spacings , on a nail in their shelter, hay feeder, a lamb putting it's foot through mom's collar , etc., get the collar caught and just may strangle to death. To compare your ram to a meat producing ram, google "Dorper Sheep " and just brouse through the breed standard, shows, farm advertising, and for sale . Also, read how this breed came to be developed in S. Africa. Other meat breed rams to consider would be to google the Standard Southdown, Suffolk, Dorset, Hampshire and compare those to your ram. As for raising any animal for business or hobby ... if one doesn't treat one's practices as a business one will soon find out that they can no longer provide for their charges. Just another food for thaught : That is when the animal rights folks charge in and accuse one of animal abuse ( which more often than not is in their minds' standards and opinions. Yes, I know several people that this has happend to . One of them even had a complete mental breakdown fighting their false charges. You can read about this court battle in N. Ohio about 6 years ago. ) which could find one in legal issues and their animals " rescued " ( confiscated). Remember the old Scottish proverb that applies to all livestock ... " The eye of the master fattens the cattle. " Above all, have fun !!!

Latest posts