Pictures of my first honey harvest

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Quite a color contrast. Could it be color bleed from older comb on the darker honey? How do they compare taste wise? I mean, I'm sure they're both delish...

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So cool. That's what I love. You never know what you are going to get. That happened to me too. How much did you harvest??

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The lighter honey is more mild in flavor, but still delicious. No dark comb. There were so many different things flowering this year, due to all the rain we got. The yellow clover blossomed like I've never seen, and the bees were all over it.

I harvested about 3 - 3 1/2 gallons off of 1 hive. It was a shallow super completely full. Bottled, it ended up being 22 1/2 pints. My largest harvest yet.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great. Wow. I did not think you could get that much off a shallow super. I'll bet it was heavy carrying that one off the hive. :)

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not too bad. Now lifting the deep on a hive check almost didn't happen. That sucker was heavy as heck!

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another harvest off of the same hive. This honey is nice and dark, like I have had in prior years. I prefer it over the light colored honey, so I think I'll feed the light back to the hive, if they need supplemental feeding over winter. (and keep the dark for myself)

I got another 2 gallons. :celebrate Pictures soon.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My 2nd honey crop this year. This one is darker than last years honey. (likely mostly blackberry) The picture doesn't show size well, but it's 20 pints worth. The jars in the back are quart jars.

Latest posts