Pig fencing - how to secure the door area?

Llimi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a mean pig. He has started to challenge the gate to his pen. His pen is hog panels outside with electrified Premier 1 hog netting inside, set up with a gap 4 feet wide where the gate (hog panel and wood) is.
How can I electrify in front of the gate? If I move the netting to cover it then when I need in the pen I will either have to pull up a post, or untie the netting from a post, or similar. Can I maybe tie the netting to the wood gate and leave it tied?
I can’t be the only one with question and feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about using alligator clips to attach several wires to the net fencing on each side? That would be easier to take down and would carry the electric across the gate.

Any reason why you are keeping a mean pig? He'd go to slaughter pretty darn quick around here. I had a trio of feeder pigs that gave me the creeps. I wouldn't go in to feed or water them without a metal pipe to whack them with and somebody standing on the outside of the pen. I was glad to see them go.

Llimi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That might work, thanks. I’ll look into it.
We are only keeping him one more month. His attitude is making him the 4th of July dinner. I was surprised at his attitude when we got him but assumed I was just naive about what pigs are like; I only recently had it confirmed by more experienced pig owners that he’s a bully and shouldn’t be kept to full size.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please be safe! Our first barrows we raised were very mean. We only kept them until they were big enough to butcher. I was never allowed to be in the pen without my dad to help. My current breeding boar had a mean phase but after talking to another pig farmer I was told he could be going through his rebellious teenage years. Now he is a big gentle boy who mainly wants scratches and 9/10 respects my space. With that being said he is also a boar and he has his moments. Today he got quite sassy with me for the first time in awhile. Trust me when I say pig bites hurt. They also leave a nasty scar, and require antibiotics to fight off infection. I don’t tolerate bad tempered hogs and all my breeding stock act like big 400lb dogs(often bickering amoungst themselves for who gets rubs). Their piglets have always grown up to be very friendly. Even the feeders we keep to grow out get love and attention throughout their whole lives.