Pig has been down for a month.

Kyle Kroeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
About 2 months ago we found a pig stuck laying down with one half of her head swollen. When we cleaned it out we found maggots in her waddle (Shes a red wattle pig) we cleaned it out, pulled out all the maggots and put a spray on sealant. Ever since we did that she has recovered greatly. She eats, drinks, and squeals like a normal pig. Except she still can get up. She can move her back legs very well. But her front legs are nothing. Her left leg is very bruised and swollen, and her right leg is as stiff as a stick. We don't know why! She squeals in pain when you touch either one. We don´t wanna give up on her! We have used a lift to get her up to encourage her to walk, but it´s useless. What do you guys think? What should we do?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what caused the initial damage, I don't know what to recommend... Sounds like terminal damage to her front end. You may have no alternative but to keep things as they are, or send her to freezer camp. Not sure why you'd want to prolong her life if she's "broken" but if she's not in pain... :idunno Your choice.

Kyle Kroeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Without knowing what caused the initial damage, I don't know what to recommend... Sounds like terminal damage to her front end. You may have no alternative but to keep things as they are, or send her to freezer camp. Not sure why you'd want to prolong her life if she's "broken" but if she's not in pain... :idunno Your choice.

Yeah its very annoying having her around. If we were to slaughter it wouldn´t even be worth it. Since she can´t walk she doesn´t have any meat on her!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she isn't getting any better. No reason to keep her in misery and pain.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only thing I know about pigs is they grow into fine foods. That said, I think this one would be much better off if you put her out of her (and your) misery. Really sorry this happened. :(

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In addition to not being in weight for slaughter, the disease/injury/infection is unknown and would make the meat suspect for human consumption. Hard decisions; hoping she turns around.