Pig journey - Pen and Housing

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I thought I would create a more specific post. My hubby had pigs early in life and they are completely new to me. We're getting two Herefords and the pen is approximately 20x20.

We responded to a Craigslist ad for free pallets, turned out to be a freight company (major score!), we picked up two loads yesterday along with quite a bit of ply wood (pieces same size as pallets). So, here we go!

Two sides up! Boy was this some hard work! Lol. I dug trenches, so to speak, then the walls were put in to hopefully help prevent the pigs digging under. Hubby was quite impressed with how hard I worked today. I was determined!!!
0412161636a.jpg

Three sides up! Ran out of the awesome 6inch screws we were using so hubby pulled out the nailer. We got done with the pen itself today, including driving in posts, I just need to snap a few more pics. Tomorrow we'll make touch ups to the "gate", throw together the shelter and attach the feeders.
0412161756.jpg

So there it is, for now. I'm hoping to pick up the little oinkers tomorrow. :D:weee

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All done!

0413161330.jpg

I didn't get my way with the feeders, gotta prove someone wrong, lol, and it wasn't my hubby... I wanted to frame them with 4x4s, which will likely end up happening. :p
0413161329.jpg

Our little helper hammering out some badly placed nails, lol.
0413161416.jpg

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your pigs will love all the room and all the yummy vegetation to root up! I hope your feeders are well attached. As your piggies get large, they will move them all over the place!

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks!

They're already halfway through rooting up the place. :ep This was from this morning, they've rooted up a good but more since, lol.
0414161305.jpg

The feeders are screwed onto the wall of the pen but we'll see how they hold up.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We fenced in our garden so our piglets can root it up. They are doing a fabulous job! We can't plant here until mid may, so I say, dig away!

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your pigs! Your pen looks good. If you are going to build a shelter, here's a link to how I built mine. Hope it helps or gives you an idea or two.

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep-or-dhs-new-digs.32088/

Thanks!

That's a great shelter you built. We already built ours, it's the pic with our son sitting inside. It's in one corner so we just placed two pallets for the flooring, screwed together, placed another on the other end and added a roof. I love the pallets we got, they're topped with ply wood instead of the usual boards. We'll be using the rest for a chicken coop and a play house for our kids. Hehe.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They sure look happy in there.

Latest posts