Pig needs to go!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I feel really bad because I have a male pot belly pig that we have to put down (vet's recommendation). He's attacked and seriously injured 2 of our other animals (unprovoked) and now lunges at us. We've had to pen him up VERY securely and are afraid to go into the pen with him.

He's an adult, intact male...probably 150 pounds. I hate the thought of just putting him down and burying him. I know that you can eat pot belly pigs (pigs are pigs - we've just made pot bellies pets)... But since he is my pet, I don't think I can eat him.

I've found someone who is willing to take him to slaughter...but the slaughter house cannot take him for 2 weeks! He spends every minute trying to bust out of the pen and lunges, jaws chomping at anything that walks by (even human)...I don't know if I can wait 2 weeks to have him gone. I'm afraid for my other critters and my children (who used to play with him). Should I just put him down myself now?

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It all depends on you. Sadly to say, and agressive animal may have no cure. He is probably just feeling some raging hormones. Sometimes boars can get like that. You could try having fixed, but that may cost you a lot and is not guaranteed to work.

If you can stomach putting him down yourself, then you could, or you could wait for the butcher.

Is there another processer near you?

You could also have his teeth trimmed to make him a little safer, but he may still be agressive.

A friend of mine had a sow that broke into her chicken coup and killed her chickens. She ended up as bacon later on.

If he is very old he may have sour meat, because he's an intact male.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

We found someone who is willing to take a chance on the quality of meat and will pick him up tomorrow.

What a load off my shoulders.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get rid of a problem. With all the nice animals out there, it isn't worth it to keep an aggressive one, no matter what the animal.

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you are going to have a pig for a pet you need to get it spayed or neutered or you likely will have an agressive animal such as this.

Spay/neuter and consistant work with the animal with manners, etc. will ensure you a good pet.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ashmeade said:
If you are going to have a pig for a pet you need to get it spayed or neutered or you likely will have an agressive animal such as this.

Spay/neuter and consistant work with the animal with manners, etc. will ensure you a good pet.
Really? Neutering? Hmm, wonder why I didn't think of that!

Seriously, I went to the vet and asked if they could neuter him. They said he was too old and recommended that he be put down. I also asked if they could remove the scissor teeth that he was using to cause damage. Again they said no.

I took this pig in from someone else in July of this year. He was a good boy until the last 2 weeks he was with me. I allowed my kids to play with him, he was that gentle before his attitude changed.

I'm not some lilly white dim wit who doesn't know that intact males can be aggressive. AND I did try to find alternatives before deciding that he needed to be put down.

Whether he was hormonal or just went crazy, I do not know.

I feel really bad for turning a pet into food...but I had no other options.

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
elevan said:
Ashmeade said:

Really? Neutering? Hmm, wonder why I didn't think of that!

Seriously, I went to the vet and asked if they could neuter him. They said he was too old and recommended that he be put down. I also asked if they could remove the scissor teeth that he was using to cause damage. Again they said no.

I took this pig in from someone else in July of this year. He was a good boy until the last 2 weeks he was with me. I allowed my kids to play with him, he was that gentle before his attitude changed.

I'm not some lilly white dim wit who doesn't know that intact males can be aggressive. AND I did try to find alternatives before deciding that he needed to be put down.

Whether he was hormonal or just went crazy, I do not know.

I feel really bad for turning a pet into food...but I had no other options.
I surely did not mean to offend you. I responded to your post with the information that you provided__none of which listed your experience, or not, with pigs, or this pig's situation. And I was certainly not trying to make you feel bad for having him destroyed. From what you described there was really no alternative.

My post was more for "public announcement" as it is very easy for folks to see that adorable piglet they absolutely HAVE to have and do not do proper research and end up with situations such as this. ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Sorry for the emotional response, but I really feel bad about putting him down.

He was one of 3 potbellies we had. All of them full grown. We've never had the "cute little cuddly pigs" that everyone thinks of when they hear pot belly.

Unfortunately the biggest problem with pot bellies is that they don't stay small and lap friendly. They grow up to be a pig between 80 - 150 pounds (or in the case of one of ours who is seriously over weight close to 200).

When that happens people no longer want them. Especially not in the house! So they move them outside and they post them on craig's list for free or sale.

Your "public service announcement" for spaying and neutering is a good one not only for pigs but all pets.

But when it comes to pot bellies people need to know that they don't stay small. They won't always be able to bounce up the steps or into your lap. You won't always want them in your house. And if you're not committed to what they will one day be, then you shouldn't get them.

Unfortunately the original owner of this pig, didn't think about the future in any way. Didn't get him fixed, didn't have his scissors trimmed, didn't want him when he was full grown. What a shame and what a waste.

We loved him for the 2 months that we had him, but something seriously wrong happened in his mind the last 2 weeks.

I could post pictures of what he did to my horse and you would probably puke first and say that I should have shot the pig on the spot. Fortunately the horse will survive and received great vet care.

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It really sounds like you did all you could so try not to feel bad! :hugs

Not staying small is an EXCELLENT point to make for folks considering one. There are a lot of dishonest people who are out there just wanting to make a buck that will tell folks the pig will stay small if they don't feed it, etc.

We have our "Alvin", we got when he was about 6-8 months old or so, from a lady that could no longer keep him due to health issues. He was about 40-50 lbs. We got him neutered immediately and he is VERY sweet and docile__which is a good thing, as he is now going on 2 years old and 200+ lbs easily!:duc

(He was a pot belly cross and not pure pot belly).

I think pigs can make wonderful pets, but as with any other animal, folks just need to do the research before getting them. (though I have to admit a tiny cuddly piglet is quite hard to resist!):love