Pig throwing up

Farmer-Brown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a young castrated male that is throwing up almost constantly. (Born end of July) approx 80 lbs.. I have a larger older castrated male born early June weighing approx 250 lbs. We slaughtered a gilt on Saturday. The males gobbled up her blood.
They seemed fine Saturday evening, making their usual squeals when they'd see me coming. Since then they are both showing less and less interest in food. Tonight they were only interested in water. The little one started throwing up after drinking water. It was more than just the water... all stomach contents.

They are fed Hi pro hog grower, chop, barley and slop made from vegetable scraps cooked with chop mixed in. They have a large alfalfa bale in their pen
The only thing that was just replenished was the barley purchased on Saturday.

Is it possibly a bad batch of barley? Was the blood the culprit? Does it sound like an illness?

What can I do to help calm his stomach and keep him hydrated?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do they show any signs of diarrhea?

Check all of their feed including the hay for mold, look at it, smell it, etc.....mold will make pigs vomit.

If the first two are No's, Lower the amount of protein your feeding as they likely have ulcers which is making them throw up. Replace their hay with chopped straw for a few days, wet their meal so it is a mash and easier to eat. That should help but it will take time and can be fatal if the ulcer starts bleeding badly.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do they show any signs of diarrhea?

Check all of their feed including the hay for mold, look at it, smell it, etc.....mold will make pigs vomit.

If the first two are No's, Lower the amount of protein your feeding as they likely have ulcers which is making them throw up. Replace their hay with chopped straw for a few days, wet their meal so it is a mash and easier to eat. That should help but it will take time and can be fatal if the ulcer starts bleeding badly.
Could Farmer Brown go ahead and slaughter now?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, if they have an ulcer or mold it won't affect meat quality. The 250lb pig is slaughter weight already so should be fine, the 80lb pig wouldnt yield much but if it is get something or get nothing, something is always better.

Farmer-Brown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
And the scratching incessantly? That is a sign of an ulcer as well?

Farmer-Brown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There is mold in the hay. If I get it out of there will they recover or is slaughter the best option? I don't have much freezer room and the person who helped us slaughter fell off a ladder the other day and is out of commission.

Last edited:

Latest posts