Pig with bleeding

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while. Having some problems with my girl. She had babies last summer, and hasn't since. She's in heat from the looks of it, but I've noticed she's had vaginal bleeding. She's had dozens of heat cycles and never bled so I'm assuming it is not normal :/ the only vet near me doesn't see pigs, just neuters them. There is a vet I use for emergencies like this but he charges so much just to see animals. She's not bleeding a lot, jut a tiny bit but it really has me concerned. I'm going to have to call my vet, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I could throw out when she's seen. I've attached a picture, you can see a little bit of the blood. I thought maybe it wasn't blood but I noticed it on her tail from wagging. She's eating normal, not acting any different either.

Attachments

• 20170207_172639.jpg
    20170207_172639.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 6,495

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Is it possible she has a UTI? maybe a course of penicillin would help? @misfitmorgan May be able to help...

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Any idea on how often and how many days she would need it for that? She's my girl and I hate it. She's acting totally normal.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea on the pig, but I understand the concern when one of our animals has something strange going on. Hope you find some answers.

But I have to ask about the other pigs, her babies. How did that all turn out? There was one that you were bottle feeding.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She should be perfectly fine. Sows/gilts in heat often rub or scratch or catch their lady bits on stuff. The large amount of swelling causes the issue, as pigs often rub their butts on things to itch them and a very swollen vulva sticks out farther then they are used too. They dont seem to give 2 wits about it either so i wouldnt worry unless she shows some other signs of ill health. A few pricks of blood always look a lot worse when they are spread out...like by a waggly tail.

If she shows fresh blood after her heat is over(the swelling goes down) then you might have a vet check her out just to be safe.

Don't think this warrants a penicillin cycle. UTI in female pigs often presents with a fever and would have blood in the urine rather then on the vulva.

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The piglets turned out great. We rehomed 3 of them. Still have 3, including the bottle baby. They're still so short lol. It's like none of the pigs have gotten any bigger. I'll take that advice of not worrying unless she's having it after she's back to herself. I just got stuck in the foot Monday evening with a funky piece of mirror and have to get a tetanus shot tomorrow. Never a dull moment around here

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Spot looks a little mangy.I'm hoping it's the back and forth weather we are having. 72 to 28. Are there signs that are tell signs of mange in pigs?
20170207_172600-1.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the piglets are doing well. Pictures would be great. No idea on the mange either, I am just not a pig person, sorry. But mange is itchy, does the pig scratch a lot?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 on the itching, was going to ask that. I had a pot belly pig I thought had mange or something but she just got all patchy every spring. Is the skin really dry? Is there any evidence of external parasites?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I really don't know. All the babies have no hair around their eyes but Spot has bits missing from his sides. And he seems sadder than the rest. Could it be from them fighting? They're in the barn at night so I don't know how they get along away from us at bedtime. They're not itching a lot when they're out. Maybe their bedding is bothering them? We had a mix of straw and hay and I'm wondering if the hay was irritating to lay on since it was something new. I'll get pics of their faces up close tomorrow. They're otherwise really good :)

Latest posts