Pig with bleeding

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was basically asking if I need to get something stronger than the SpectoGard since she's not really made an improvement poop wise. I'm almost 100% sure she's got E coli at this point.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
SpectoGard is the drug of choice for e-Coli; I have used it in my goats too. I have no clue about the color, but it is good that she is eating and acting well. When is it time to start introducing solid feed to her? Is this the same formula you used last time?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think 2 weeks old was the recommended time to add a few bits of feed with milk in a dish. She will be a week old monday. And she now has both eyes gunked shut. So maybe it is a winter thing. I've opted against the iron shot since it can cause diarrhea, which she doesn't need more of. She is eating bits of dirt and rooting around in it as expected. She had a brownish yellow poop this afternoon instead of the typical orange she had all day yesterday.

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Napping under the heat lamp :) when she isn't snorting and trying to escape
20170304_131744.jpg

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And yes same formula. There's no mold, or smell to it so I've continued using it

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was told she could be getting an upper respiratory infection. With her eyes crusted shut. I don't have a vet that will see a piglet this size. :/ how will I know if she does indeed have one or if it's just funny pig stuff?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Both of her eyes are crusted shut so we are getting some meds from an on call vet today.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a believer that sometimes you just have to treat with antibiotics even if you don't know for sure. We don't always have the ways, the means, or the time to get a for sure diagnoses. She is little and vulnerable and I would treat with another antibiotic for the eyes, just in case. I think your choice is a wise one. Hope you get what you need, crusty shut eyes does not sound even close to normal. Is her poop getting firmer at all?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not really nope :( she's been given 2 doses of Baytril from the vet. We gave her dose one today. She was NOT a happy camper! Hopefully we see some improvement tomorrow

Latest posts