Pig with ear issue?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have three pigs at the moment. All have been super healthy, no issues. Today I noticed my barrow is tilting his head and flapping his ears a little. He does not appear to be in pain. He let me pat him and even touch his ears. He's eating and drinking normally, and playing with the gilts.

I did some research and it sounds like it's either an infection or water in his ears.

I'm going to see how he is tomorrow but any ideas?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
May have gotten some straw, shavings or some bedding in the ear? No swelling or lumps or anything like he got bit or even stepped on when laying down? Hard to know from a distance. If he lets you handle it then I would try to lift the ear up and take a flashlight and see if you can look in the ear? I know that might be difficult, but maybe while he is eating? Sometimes they will get something irritating in the ear, but often they will shake their heads to get it dislodged. Pictures?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's actually acting normal today. No head tilt. I had just put fresh hay in for them... I bet that was it! I was not looking forward to digging around in his ear, lol!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry i wasnt on over the weekend. Glad it got resolved on its own.

We have never seen any long term problems and also notice they shack their heads when they get something in their ear. We have had the "extra" shaking lasting for up to 48hrs but never saw any other signs and the ear never got red.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I get neurotic about the pigs lol. I don't get as nervous about the goats because I know more about their health issues and also they fit in the car so I can get them to the vet!