Piglet is blowing bubbles not drinking

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Gidget who is 20 days old has stopped thriving. She used t be nearly twice the size of our runt Peanut. She and her two little brothers were separated from their mother on day three because her litter kept shrinking in numbers. They have all been doing really well until 1.5 days ago. That is when we noticed that Gidget seemed to be struggling. This morning she was having difficulty standing and getting away from her two brothers. She didn’t come out to get her milk or her feed this morning. So we brought all three home because she and the runt needed to get washed up a bit. We decided to bring hamlet home as well so he wouldn’t be all alone. Once we were situated at home I gave them more milk and pellets. That is when I noticed Gidget was having troubles drinking. Not only did she push her whole snout into the dish of milk she was blowing bubbles. I then separated her from the other two and offered her only a very little amount of milk and she seemed to do ok at that. We are thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow to see if she has a physical issue or aspiration pneumonia. We are keeping her warm and minimal liquids in her little tote tonight. I’ll add a bit more every couple of hours if she needs some. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be going on with her? I do believe our runt is now as big, if not bigger than she is. So he’s thriving and now she’s struggling.
7D5BF82D-2C0E-47B3-B407-6ADC3AE6F0A4.jpeg

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be scours. What does her poop look like?

Could also be an iron issue? Did you do iron shots? Or have they had some fresh dirt to root around in?

I’ll let you know if I think of anything else. Try calling the vet to see what their opinion is, a lot of the medication you can buy at the store.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Could be scours. What does her poop look like?

Could also be an iron issue? Did you do iron shots? Or have they had some fresh dirt to root around in?

I’ll let you know if I think of anything else. Try calling the vet to see what their opinion is, a lot of the medication you can buy at the store.
I had thought scours as well. Her poo has turned to a yellow liquid substance. She did also get an iron shot at 4 days of age. A call to the vet does sound like a very good idea as well. Thank you.

Latest posts