Piglet is terrified of me!

Owlett

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So we just got our first pig, for meat, an 8 week old duroc/Yorkshire cross, about a week ago. She's adorable but hates everyone's guts! She refuses to even get within ten feet of me, even if I have food. Walking towards her causes her to grunt and run away at top speed.

Is she going to be like this forever? I was hoping that after awhile she'll mellow out for scratches and pats.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got 3 piglets last year at the same age, 8 weeks. They were also scared of us but when they got bigger they got better, but, I didn't really want them to come around me by the time they wanted to come around me haha. Food was the only thing that really interested them when it came to coming in contact with me. They never wanted me to pet them but if i had food they would come running for me.

I have found with all the animals on our farm that they are born with the instinct to get away from me. Literally scared of me the moment they are born. I was given advice from a friend to make them completely rely on me for food. Tie them up to a post and then bring them food. I have experienced that now with our orphan calf, the moment he knew I was his only food source he became very affectionate towards me. Perhaps the same will happen with your piglet.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ummmm Not sure if this is a pertinent question or not, but why would you want to pet and scratch your food? I mean if you bought it for meat, do you really want to become emotionally attached to it? like as a pet? I can understand you not wanting it to be scared of you, but any more than that seems like it will make the eventual butchering more difficult.

Reactions: cjc

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
LOL You're not butting in... This is what forums are for... comments! Actually, it's always nice when there's lots of participation. One thing I didn't mention in my previous post was about how pigs are a lot more mellow when they have a pig companion. When all by themselves, they can get "bored" and destructive, as well as a bit neurotic... They are very smart animals after all.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes I find that with all my animals actually. They do best with others of their own kind. Although...our horse is currently convinced he is a cow haha. Even sleeps in the shelter with them at night. Just one of the herd now.

Owlett

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I just felt if she was comfortable with me then the process of getting her to load when the day comes will be less traumatic for her (maybe not for me). Also if she ever got out of the pen somehow, her being more socialized would make catching her easier.

She's currently living with the company of the chickens and ducks, even follows them to bed at night haha. She's so dang cute, I just want her to live a happy life.

Reactions: cjc

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't mind petting my food, lol. It makes it easier to deal with them if they need something. If I need to get them in a pen they'll come close enough for me to entice them in. I've even had pigs tame enough to let me give them a shot without any restraint what-so-ever. Makes it much easier to handle an animal that's a lot stronger than you are.:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I just felt if she was comfortable with me then the process of getting her to load when the day comes will be less traumatic for her (maybe not for me). Also if she ever got out of the pen somehow, her being more socialized would make catching her easier.

She's currently living with the company of the chickens and ducks, even follows them to bed at night haha. She's so dang cute, I just want her to live a happy life.
I put the trailer in the pen with the pigs and fed and watered them in it. They loaded themselves.
http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/feeder-pigs.32154/page-13

As your pig gets bigger, your chickens and ducks might make a pig snack. They are omnivorous and eat meat too!

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bay... was going to mention that... your pig will most likely try for a chicken or duck dinner once a little larger. You kmight want to get them separated post haste. Maybe the pig will forget about them as it matures.