1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Piglet Savaging

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Pigs' started by Eroc1_1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dec 28, 2014
    Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' with the herd

We are a bit confused tonight. Our Old Spot sow, that had her first litter 2 weeks ago, was found savaging one of her piglets tonight. She has been exceptional up until now and we even planned on keeping a female from her litter for future breeding stock. Now we are unsure if we should even save her after weaning.

I haven't been able to pin down or track a good reason why this would happen. She has been in the same pen, she has gotten an increase in food, and her food hasn't changed.

2. Dec 29, 2014
    jhm47

jhm47 True BYH Addict

Could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or possibly a lack of essential amino acids. What are you feeding her?

3. Dec 31, 2014
    SillyChicken

SillyChicken Loving the herd life

was there something wrong with the piglet?

4. Jan 4, 2015
    Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' with the herd

Sorry for the late replies! I am feeding a complete 14% hog food from Klambach. She has been on the same food for the last 12 months.

I am surmising that the pig was dead when she decided to consume it. She hasn't shown that tendency since then.

5. Jan 6, 2015
    jhm47

jhm47 True BYH Addict

Actually, it's not unusual for carnivores/omnivores to devour dead offspring. Pigs are definitely omnivores, so I wouldn't be too surprised. How many babies does she have? If more than 6 - 7, I'd allow her to have her ration self-fed. Lactating sows need lots of feed to support their offspring.

6. Jul 25, 2017
    Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Loving the herd life

I know I am a little late to reply but needle teeth are sharper on different breeds. My Old spot rejected her whole entire last litter because the piglets were injuring her nips. She was crossed with Hampshire for the first time. Hampshire is a squealing aggressive breed in our encounters anyway. All other litters were with a Berkshire boar. She was content with them. Mild bunch.
    Do you clip needle teeth?
    We neglected to that litter and in the end she scooped up 2 of them and chucked them about 30 feet out of the pin. One got it's face injured but recovered.
    At least in the litter of 12, all gilts!! First for us..:)