Piglet with Injured Leg

RicketyOldFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello - We have piglet that is about 5 days old that started limping this morning. She won't weight bear on her right, back leg at all. We suspect she was stepped on by mom but we didn't see it happen. She keeps trying to move away from the rest of the litter and lay down - I'm sure she is tired of being stepped on at this point. I did make sure she got a good feeding the last time mom laid down to feed. Should I separate her from the litter and bottle feed for a few days or wait and see if she gets this worked out herself? My focus has been making sure she is eating at this point but is there something else I should be keeping an eye on? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If the mom lets you pick up the baby then I would just do a general check. Feel along the spine especially to see if there are any tender spots, pigs will let you know if you’ve hit one lol, and feel if any bones in the leg are out of place. If you’re not sure check another sound piglet for reference. If it’s eating fine and can move well on its own then you’re golden, if little bit doesn’t want to be near the others there might be a reason so trust your gut. If you have enough time and energy bottle raising, or keeping it in the house and then suckling at feeding times, may be the best option.

RicketyOldFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much. She actually got a bit worse during the day and with the heat we went ahead and brought her indoors. I managed to get a couple of oz of goats milk in her and she rested the afternoon and night. By mid-morning today her energy was up and she could get her legs under her again. We put her back out around noon and she’s doing okay. Still a bit puny but mom is letting her nurse and the siblings are fine so I think she will be okay. Thank you again for your response!

Latest posts