Piglets fighting?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 5 Kunekune and 3 PBP, all female, ranging in age from 6 months to a year. They get along great. I’ve always added to my herd 2 or 3 at a time so I can keep the littles separated for feeding, protection, etc but not lonely, until they’re ready to join the herd. I just picked up 2 more little Kunekune girls, about 6 weeks old. Eating great, active, friendly, but they fight more than any pig I’ve ever had. Other than a few minor bloody scratches on the ears, no injuries noted, and the fights are balanced - not one bully/one bullied. They’re from the same litter and were kept with mom and siblings prior to me picking them up. I finally put a divider up in their pen to stop the fighting...they slept next to each other with the fence panel between them. I let them out to run in a bigger area, and they stayed together, but still broke out in several prolonged scuffles. Advice on how to handle? The fights agitate my other pigs and LGD (none of them can get to the piglets, but get right up to fence). Ironically, they’re also the most willing-to-be-handled pigs I’ve had at this age. Very nice girls...

FYI, I did try feeding separately, but I don’t think this is about food.

Thanks!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be they are working out who’s the boss. Its hard to say, maybe they are stressed from being moved. We have never had much of a problem with ours fighting unless its food.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they continue too fight and keep the rest stirred up, they might need to find another home. Give them time and give them a chance to settle down. But sometimes there is one (or two) animals that keep all the others upset and it is not worth it.