Pigs not eating kitchen scraps

ohogue

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hi! I'm on my second round of feeder pigs. My four are Yorkshire crosses, 9 weeks old. They're not eating fruit and veggie scraps! They graze and they enjoy their grain and whey, but we have tons of delicious fruit and veggie scraps that they're not interested in at all. I have given them spent chicken bones from making bone broth and they LOVE those, but it's so weird to me they won't go for anything sweet. Has anyone had pigs like this before? Do I just need to keep offering it to them? I've tried giving scraps before grain, too, with no luck. Any advice?

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@ohogue This hasn't happened to us before with fruit (other than apples) but I have found a few vegetables that the pigs didn't like. Sometimes its unfortunate because the things they wont eat are the things you happen to get for free! I did find that the things they didn't like they liked once we cooked it. Which is a hassle...but it worked.

Pigs LOVE watermelon. If you have any of that see what they think of that. Our pigs are into apples but they have to be cut down and they sometimes won't go for the real tart ones...but...once you cook them they will go for them.

What kind of scraps are you offering them? Which fruits and veggies?

We don't feed our pigs any animal waste. We avoid things like cheese as well.

19disbre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
piglets typically are a bit more picky, Cjc your right in most aspects but dairy products and eggs are an exception both are very good for pigs

Latest posts