Pigs won't go out to pasture!!

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We raise our pigs on a rotating pasture system. For the last month they've been on one side of our lot and this weekend it was time to switch them to the second paddock. Only thing is they WON"T leave the lean to now! THey will not go past about 2 feet past the shelter they are in. We are not sure if they are sccared because it is a long electricc fenced path leading to the pasture Little do they know there's a beautiful pasture with walnut trees awaiting them! I am so frustratied. Now they are pooping in the shed cause they're not outside anymore. I've tried baiting them with food to no avail. We also tried using panels but the area is so narrow they start trying to back up then get hit with the electric. I thought it was a matter of "they'll go evventually" but it's now been four days and they havem't stepped out the she.

Tips on getting stubborn pigs to move?????

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
pigs generally in my experience don't like going to new places. have you tried making walls on etherside with wood so they cant see what's around them when the go down the path or you can try loading them into a trailer from the entrance of there shelter them move them that way

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We place one person behind them that waves a stick around like crazy, and another person in front of them with a bucket of their favorite feed. Create an aisle-way like jk47 said and just sort of walk them down the aisle. I would create it out of solid hog panels instead of electric, though.

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Tried everything to no avail. Even tried rearragning the fencing so they could leave the pen through their old exit. They just jumped right through the electric. We are going to have to just leave them in the same penned in area the whole year.... Now we don't even trust them on the electric anyways.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, we only use hog panels, no electric, and have a series of 32'x32' pens that we rotate them through for parasite control.

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah we might have to take a day and rearrange the hog panels that we do have. We got lucky last year with some agreeable pigs! But you'd think they'd be excited to check out a new spot.