how many do you need? (are they all right alone) :thumbsup

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Why pigs? You need to ask???

BACON!!!!! :D
:lol:
:yuckyuck I was thinking the same thing..!!

I would get a couple...but thats just me. And I would pen my pigs and give them a shelter in their pen. I wouldnt let them run wild...I am adding pigs this spring to the farm. New adventure for me...starting an area now actually. But thats "Why Pigs" for me. Bacon, ham etc etc etc...

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aside from home raised bacon, which is the best!!

Pigs can be very friendly and are just like big dogs, especially if you start out young. Ours love to have their bellies rubbed.

They are also easy to breed when compared to other animals and can produce a litter every 3-4 months.

They have a fairly small space requirement for their size. A breeding sow and piglets can be kept in a 20 by 20 pen.

They do eat a lot, but not compared to some animals raised for meat. It is said that 10lbs of feed per day can get a pregnant sow through.

They are very clean if kept in the right kind of pen. They only poo in one spot and don't usually spill their food. Though I wouldn't put them in a pature you don't want dug up. A concrete run is a good pen, or if a large cloth mat is laid down to keep down the mud, the kind used to stop the weeds from growing.

They will also eat all of your unwanted food and I mean All of it. They will also eat almost anything.

I hope this helped and I hope that you do get pigs, they are so fun.