1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Pink Eye Remedy

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by woodsie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2013
    woodsie

woodsie Loving the herd life

I just thought I would share my super easy pink eye remedy....unpasturized honey dissolved in sterilized water. Make sure you use a good quality UNpasterized honey. I boil the water to sterilize it let it cool to room temp then mix 1 part water to 1 part honey. Then just spoon or drop into the eye.

My dog came back from the kennel with pink eye. I noticed it looked a little red and then over the next couple days got all goopy. My sister-in-law told me about this natural remedy for pink eye that worked for her son so I gave it a try. Within 12 hours her eye looked totally normal and she didn't even fuss about having it dropped into her eye...I just tipped her head up, spooned some into the corner of her eye and then opened her eyelid. A couple days later we noticed our other dog rubbing his eye so I gave them both another dose in their eyes. Totally cured, and haven't had any of the kids or other animals have any signs. :D

The same sister-in-law now rents her house that is on a dairy farm and the cows that are resistant to the "purple spray" for pink eye always clears up with the honey and water solution.

Pioneer Chicken and Beekissed like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup

3. Jan 24, 2013
    bonbean01

bonbean01 Herd Master

I've read this, but good to know that someone has used this and it worked :thumbsup

4. Jan 28, 2013
    kstaven

kstaven Purple Cow/Moderator Golden Herd Member

Unpasteurized milk works also.

5. Jan 28, 2013
    bonbean01

bonbean01 Herd Master

Now this isn't exactly "husbandry"....but a handy tip for anyone too close to someone welding and watching without protection...happened to my husband (hmmm...so maybe it is okay to put it in husbandry?) but...that night the redness and terrible pain in his eyes were pretty bad...looked online and saw many sites where people rinsed their eyes with milk...tried it, and it worked...saved a trip to the ER that night.

Thought of this when I read the post about using milk for pink eye.

6. Jan 28, 2013
    Cricket

Cricket Ridin' The Range

Those are both interesting. I have a dog with an AI disorder called Myositis of the Masticatory Muscle- it has destroyed a lot of the muscle in her head and the muscle behind her eyes, which leaves her with too much space in her eye sockets. It's not much of a problem in winter, but in summer I have to use saline to flush an amazing amount of debris from there. There's times when she could use something that would fight possible infection, yet it's not bad enough to require antibiotic ointment. Thanks!

7. Apr 13, 2013
    thestewarts

thestewarts Exploring the pasture

I use breastmilk in my daughters eyes when they get goopey so I bet raw/unpasturized milk would do the trick.

8. Apr 15, 2013
    nelson castro

nelson castro Chillin' with the herd

Very awesome idea.. :thumbsup

9. Apr 15, 2013
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

These are such great suggestions! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

10. Dec 23, 2013
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia Loving the herd life

If you do not have a problem using antibiotics,you can use the stuff they squirt into cows udders for treating Mastitis.Down here its spread by flies transferring the discharge on the outside of the eye from one animal to another.Many years ago we used it on our milking goats with good control results....T.O.R.