Pink in milk

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So.... We were doing good, getting great looking milk from our Georgia and then hubby noticed some pink in the bottom of one of our quart jars. He had just poured it into a half gallon jar to finish filling it up and then noticed the pink. So now my question, is blood the only possibility or is there something else that can cause it?

I got a hold of the vet and asked about getting her tested (mentioned in another thread) and he said it's been a while since he tested a goat so he's doing some research on the best way to test and then he can give me a quote on what it'll all cost. Anyways, I mention that bc we're not drinking it at this time but I'm hoping it is something that can be treated. We got her for the milk so I'm going everything works out.

So, pink milk?

Reactions: TAH

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is she nursing kids ?

You can get a little blood from a burst blood capillary in the teat sometime.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No kids.

If it's that then does it heal quickly?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can just ask the vet to do the blood draw and you send out everything.

You should invest in a CMT- California Mastitis Test Kit.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, but you should still test.

We had the same thing one time and she was negative for mastitis and it cleared up in a few days.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had one that would give the pink in the milk every day for about the first two weeks after freshening; she did this for the first two years I milked her. I didn't see it this year.

As far as your vet doing testing, for the CL, CAE, and Johnes you or your vet would draw blood and send it out to a lab. My vet does the TB test, they have to administer it and then read it 3 days later, just like for people. The brucellosis I am not sure about but pretty sure it is blood sample as well.

None of those except *MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE* CL will cause blood in the milk. Mastitis or a broken capillary is the usual cause. If she is getting milked more often and her bag is getting fuller I vote for the capillary but I would certainly get the CMT and test her for mastitis.