Pitbulls killed 200 goats

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thats awful.
I certainly hope they round up the guilty dogs.
I read some of the comments on the article.
I myself am leary of this breed. They are so powerful that if something goes wrong it really goes wrong.
Of course any dog that has not had the proper training can be a menace.
I am not a proponent of more government taking even more control, such as you need to prove you have the nec. skills and what not to own a dog. But I say that if someones dog does damage to you or yours you should have complete and full right to shoot to kill.
No bull crap lawsuits afterwords. Because if the dog was at home, he would not be shot now would it.

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The comments are pure BS.

As the owner of 3 Pits, I find all the hate to be based completely on ignorance and media hype. Notice how many times they said "Pit Bull" in the article? The media is making them a villain, as they have been doing for years. If it was a positive Pit story, you'd hear the breed name once, if at all. But I digress...

Any breed, when loose and in a pack, has pack mentality. Yes, even Labs and Goldens, the "Family Dogs". Just had a friend of mine's Labs attack a fellow Lab. One started it, and the others jumped right in. "Pack attack" happens in dogs, wolves, and many other species.

Goats are prey animals. Most dogs have prey drive. Since the Pit Bull is a terrier, it has a high prey drive (usually). It's sad for the goats, yes, but you can't blame animals for being animals. Even household pets revert back to a feral state when left in the wild for some time.

With that said, any dog that enters my fence will leave with a bullet in it's head if it attacks my goats. It is our responsibility as owners to keep our animals safe. And as a pet owner, I take responsibility for keeping my 5 dogs inside and contained.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
This could be any breed of dogs in a wild pack situation. "Pit bull" just makes it more sensational. What an awful situation for that community to have to worry so much for their livestock and children, not to mention any adult who confronts them unarmed.

:somad

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The lesson to this is keep your dogs at home and do your best to train them.
Thats about all ya can do.
I agree. The press has become horrible at reporting non biased news.
Most newspapers are as bad as those rag papers at the check out stand.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BlondeSquirrel04 said:
The comments are pure BS.

As the owner of 3 Pits, I find all the hate to be based completely on ignorance and media hype. Notice how many times they said "Pit Bull" in the article? The media is making them a villain, as they have been doing for years. If it was a positive Pit story, you'd hear the breed name once, if at all. But I digress...

Any breed, when loose and in a pack, has pack mentality. Yes, even Labs and Goldens, the "Family Dogs". Just had a friend of mine's Labs attack a fellow Lab. One started it, and the others jumped right in. "Pack attack" happens in dogs, wolves, and many other species.

Goats are prey animals. Most dogs have prey drive. Since the Pit Bull is a terrier, it has a high prey drive (usually). It's sad for the goats, yes, but you can't blame animals for being animals. Even household pets revert back to a feral state when left in the wild for some time.

With that said, any dog that enters my fence will leave with a bullet in it's head if it attacks my goats. It is our responsibility as owners to keep our animals safe. And as a pet owner, I take responsibility for keeping my 5 dogs inside and contained.
Thank you. Finally someone with some sense.

Just in case anyone else thinks all "pitbulls" are blood thirsty beasts.

Mine sure isn't, he would sooner cuddle these goats to death than he would try to eat them.

ANY DOG BREED in a pack is dangerous. ANY dog with HIGH PREY DRIVE is dangerous. A lone Husky caused quite a disturbance in my neighborhood recently, killed 5 of my birds, and 4 of my neighbors.

JUDGE THE DEED NOT THE BREED.

And for what its worth, a "pitbull" isn't even a breed. Its a general description of ANY number of bully looking breeds. Could be a mix of anything with a big head.

Go ahead and test yourself!

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

As for these dogs that are causing this harm. They should be shot. Any dog that causes harm to my animals is a predator, not a pet.

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lets focus less on the breed of dogs and more on the act. I think it is absolutely terrible that this happened and I so feel for the poor goats and their owners. I wish it could have been prevented with people taking responsibility for their darn dogs.

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That area is a bad area - alot of crime and problems, including dog fighting. I think my husband is right, I think it was a dog fighting pack that got lose or was released for whatever reason. That would make sense why the majority of the dogs in the packs are Pits and why they are so aggressive. They aren't killing the goats and livestock for food - they aren't eating them. They are just killing them to kill them. Sounds like dog fighting training to me, but who knows.