Placenta in nest box?

Suzy74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Both of my does kindled last night. It was too chilly still this morning to do a proper inspection but I did see kits in both nest boxes. I also found some weird bloody tissue chunks (sorry to be graphic) and I'm thinking they must be placenta. Is this abnormal? I certainly hope it's not remains of a kit that the doe was eating :(
I'll get in later today when it warms up a bit and do a full investigation but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some don't eat it . If you found it right after it was expelled she didn't have time to eat. as it warm ? Not a big deal either way though don't worry about it to much .

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also found some weird bloody tissue chunks (sorry to be graphic) and I'm thinking they must be placenta. Is this abnormal?
In both nesting boxes? If it is placenta, which is likely, that would not be abnormal if you caught them immediately after kindling. Or they could leave it, especially if your does are young and these were their first kindlings.

Whatever it is, if the does have not cleaned it up, I would remove it from the nest.

Last edited:

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Most likely its placenta. I had a new mom that didn't eat them for her first litter. I waited a couple hours after she kindled and cleaned it up.