1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Properly disbudded? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Planning our pasture... soggy area in woods OK?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by seachick, May 16, 2019 at 9:20 AM.

1. May 16, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    seachick

seachick Chillin' with the herd

Hello,

We live on a small <1 acre lot in the suburbs and are getting 2 Nigerian Dwarf does. We plan to fence in a part of our grassy lawn that is about 1000 square feet for them, but it has no shrubs or trees. We DO have a big chunk of wooded area that we could fence, but it's pretty soggy. In the springtime it's basically ALL wet and sloshy, and in summer it dries out but not completely. One area has cattails growing in it, for example.

I understand that wetness is bad for goat hooves. What do you guys think? Fence in another 1000 sf of this wooded zone, or just stick with the 1000 sf grassy area?

Thanks!
    Stacey

2. May 18, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Not knowing what state you are living in, my answer would be, do you have snakes, gators, wild pigs ?...what lives in the damp sometimes soggy area and what grows that is of benefit to the goats ?

3. May 18, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    seachick

I'm in southern Maine, so no snakes, gators or wild pigs here :) It's also a very small area: the back yards of the surrounding homes dip into this wet wooded spot, the whole area is probably about 1 acre and about 1/4 of that is on our land.

It's filled with low skinny maple saplings and shrubby stuff like Japanese knotweed, jewelweed, honeysuckle: I think the goats would love to browse there. The grassy 1000 sf paddock we'll have has no shrubs or woody plants to browse on.

Thanks!

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  4. May 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Having lived in Eliot Maine,... I got ya...they will love it.
    We also raise ND , love my girls :love

5. May 18, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Fence in every single bit ....as much as you own. You can then cross fence to exclude some areas temporarily or use as rotation.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  6. May 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    seachick

So you guys don't think the fact that it is very very squishy wet in springtime (like my boots sink 6" in!), and moderately so all year, will be a problem? I keep reading about hoof rot from wet pastures. Is that only a concern if there's no place dry to get to?