Plastic queen excluders? Do they work?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask this. I'm seeing huge price differences between the metal ones and plastic. And on a budget.

I'd like the metal ones if I didn't have to be careful about money...

Curious what you think. Thanks.

Field Bee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask this. I'm seeing huge price differences between the metal ones and plastic. And on a budget.

I'd like the metal ones if I didn't have to be careful about money...

Curious what you think. Thanks.
There are 3 types of QEs, plastic ($4), metal ($8), wood bound metal ($18). I'm a little haphazard with equipment and found that the plastic ones work best for me. They work just fine and last quite a few years if you store them out of the weather. I have a few metal ones and they work just as well and will last forever, you just have to be aware that if you bend any of the wires it will allow the queen to pass through. The wood bound metal provides the best seal from the elements but since beekeepers only use them in the summer its no big deal if you have small gaps with the others. Wood bound should be painted (another expense with them). Cool thing about the plastic ones is you can cut them up for nucs or for other hive management. All of them can be put in solar melters to clean them up and the plastic ones can be frozen and with a quick smack clean up pretty well. I also like the plastic QE scraper tool that Betterbee sells. Like all beekeeping equipment its mostly personal preference and you cant go wrong with any of the choices.

sylviethecochin

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The guy I bought my bees from has been keeping bees for more than forty years, and he said he'd not used an excluder for more than a couple hives. So there's that.