Please give me some ideas on building a sheep deck chair?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

I would like to build a sheep deck chair.

Premier one has them, but we are on a strict budget and $120 is over our budget at the moment.

I was thinking maybe we could easily build a sheep deck chair...

I keep having reoccurring visions and dreams of sheep care becoming easier and easier...

I am hoping easier sheep care can become a reality rather than just a dream...

Yesterday, my wife and I just gave our sheep herd its very first drench. Never done it before, but here is what we did:

1. Purchased shin guards from Walmart to protect my shins [last time I was kicked in the shin and the swelling and the pain remained for over one entire month].

2. Got all the equipment ready to go [sheep drench, syringe, gloves, and a very positive attitude].

3. We next herded the sheep into a corner of the sheep pen using two 10ft. cattle panels.

4. Boxed the sheep in so they could barely move.

5. Jumped the cattle panel, joined the sheep inside.

6. Grabbed one sheep at a time, lifted it off the ground, set it on its rump, and held on for dear life [usually held on to the sheep's head with one hand turning it gently to one side, hold the sheeps neck of chest with the other hand].

7. Shot the drench into the back of each of their mouths, making sure they did not spit it out [none of them did spit it out].

8. Gave each sheep a Permethrin spray bath, then let em' go!

To be 100% honest with you, it went much smoother and easier than I imagined. Even though we had to accomplish this feat in the rain, it was actually kinda fun!

Now I am thinking about the future...yes, as in hoof trimming, injections, more drenches, etc.

I have seen the pictures of the sheep chairs and it sure makes the job look much, much easier!

So now I have some questions...

1. Has anyone here built there own sheep deck chair?
2. If yes, does it work well?
3. What material did you use?
4. Where did you purchase the material?
5. How did you assemble your new master piece?

I have never built a sheep deck chair. I was thinking I could save a lot of $$$ if I did the following:

1. Use 3/4" electrical conduit or other metal tubing [I have a lot of it laying around at the moment].
2. Bend the 3/4" electrical conduit in a manner that makes for legs for the chair.
3. Somehow attach the horizontal braces to the conduit [but how]?
4. Use baseball netting or Game Bird Net Poultry Pen Netting that appears to have a very low price.

Finally, another thought I had was use 3/4" steel pipe [have lots of it laying around] using pipe "T's" for the attachment points of the horizontal braces [but this idea may add quite a bit of weight to our sheep deck chair].

We are open to all ideas and suggestions.

Please help us if you can!

Thank you!

PS here's some pics of chairs we found online

Sheep chair 1.JPG

Sheep chair 2.JPG

Sheep chair 4.JPG

Sheep chair 3.JPG

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm holding out for a cheap chair or diy as well.

For now, I have a headgate to hold the sheep while standing for me and then I can drench, trim feet, trim wool, give vaccines, etc. Some sheep, I can just straddle their neck or press to a wall, but some need something stronger to hold them.

Seems like it's just strong netting over a rectangle frame...you'd think it'd be easy to build, maybe with wood...I was going to try to make one later this year.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your local Craigslist - or maybe even post in the 'wanted' section. I found a Premier sheep chair for $50 on CL, still in excellent shape.

If you DIY, the netting has to be very strong - not sure bird netting would work, at least what I see in the stores as bird netting. It also needs to be adjustable for width - you want the sheep to fit pretty snugly side to side, like the top picture. If they have any wiggle room, and they struggle, they can get out (ask me how I know...).

I actually haven't used my sheep chair on mine much. I wouldn't use it for deworming, I'd worry too much about the dewormer getting into their lungs. My ewes are trained to the milk stand, my ram I use a leash, and for lambs I use a small catch pen like you used with your sheep. My next choice would be a chute system, which wouldn't be hard to DIY. I'm glad I have the chair, though - I've used it on a friend's sheep, and it's good to have if I ever need it.

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

I would like to build a sheep deck chair.

Premier one has them, but we are on a strict budget and $120 is over our budget at the moment.

I was thinking maybe we could easily build a sheep deck chair...

I keep having reoccurring visions and dreams of sheep care becoming easier and easier...

I am hoping easier sheep care can become a reality rather than just a dream...

Yesterday, my wife and I just gave our sheep herd its very first drench. Never done it before, but here is what we did:

1. Purchased shin guards from Walmart to protect my shins [last time I was kicked in the shin and the swelling and the pain remained for over one entire month].

2. Got all the equipment ready to go [sheep drench, syringe, gloves, and a very positive attitude].

3. We next herded the sheep into a corner of the sheep pen using two 10ft. cattle panels.

4. Boxed the sheep in so they could barely move.

5. Jumped the cattle panel, joined the sheep inside.

6. Grabbed one sheep at a time, lifted it off the ground, set it on its rump, and held on for dear life [usually held on to the sheep's head with one hand turning it gently to one side, hold the sheeps neck of chest with the other hand].

7. Shot the drench into the back of each of their mouths, making sure they did not spit it out [none of them did spit it out].

8. Gave each sheep a Permethrin spray bath, then let em' go!

To be 100% honest with you, it went much smoother and easier than I imagined. Even though we had to accomplish this feat in the rain, it was actually kinda fun!

Now I am thinking about the future...yes, as in hoof trimming, injections, more drenches, etc.

I have seen the pictures of the sheep chairs and it sure makes the job look much, much easier!

So now I have some questions...

1. Has anyone here built there own sheep deck chair?
2. If yes, does it work well?
3. What material did you use?
4. Where did you purchase the material?
5. How did you assemble your new master piece?

I have never built a sheep deck chair. I was thinking I could save a lot of $$$ if I did the following:

1. Use 3/4" electrical conduit or other metal tubing [I have a lot of it laying around at the moment].
2. Bend the 3/4" electrical conduit in a manner that makes for legs for the chair.
3. Somehow attach the horizontal braces to the conduit [but how]?
4. Use baseball netting or Game Bird Net Poultry Pen Netting that appears to have a very low price.

Finally, another thought I had was use 3/4" steel pipe [have lots of it laying around] using pipe "T's" for the attachment points of the horizontal braces [but this idea may add quite a bit of weight to our sheep deck chair].

We are open to all ideas and suggestions.

Please help us if you can!

Thank you!

PS here's some pics of chairs we found online

View attachment 15179
View attachment 15180
View attachment 15181
View attachment 15182
I think you don't need it anymore. Look at that happy sheep.. hahaha!! they are so cute just lying down there. having pedicure, and haircut. I think you just need it to be a little bit elevated...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made one out of cargo netting and a heavy duty pool ladder. Haven't tested it yet, but it looks like it could work.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I ended up buying one last year.
Should not of wasted my time and money.
Just not worth it.
It's for sale, if anyone wants it.
That's gonna be a little difficult to sell, Everybody's in DIY now. and it's actually better most of the time.