Please help 1st time mama

Lacy Workman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is Bonnie, she's about a year and a half old. I don't know when she was bred because we have several pygmy Billys that she is with. About 1 1/2 months ago we noticed her stomach getting really big, kind of like a barrel. About 2 weeks ago her bag started getting bigger. In the last 2 days it has close to doubled in size. She is behaving differently like she keeps turning her head back and touching her back, pacing (so much), turning and itching her sides a lot, her vulva is very swollen and you can see the pink inside, her stomach doesn't look like a barrel anymore now it's lopsided and seems to have dropped. I have also noticed that her baby or babies are moving a lot, you can feel and see them jerking her. She is being more aggressive and headbutting the other goats. Her private seems to convulse or pulsate sometimes and she straightens out her backside but then it stops. No mucus. These things have been going on for 2 days or so. Any thoughts would really help me. And why such a fast and dramatic change in her looks and behavior? In these pictures she looks so small but a few days ago her belly was so big on both sides. It's like her belly has moved down.

Attachments

• 20161104_123944.jpg
    20161104_123944.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 114

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she is getting ready for labor. The belly drops is a big sign you are getting close. That is the kids getting into position to move into the birth canal. I would seperate her and keep a close eye for contractions(her lower back arches). I hope everything goes well, keep us updated! And welcome to the forum! I had a ewe that had similar signs for 3 days before she popped out her lamb.

Last edited:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from CA. I have not dealt with a pregnant goat yet. Please keep us posted. Love seeing pictures.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep---when the kids are moving around into position you have some "I think I might be doing something" actions. Then, you may have kids very soon or you may be several days out. You will see the mucus (if you are around at the right time). Just give her her own space and keep an eye on her. Generally they kid just fine. The nipples normally get tight from fullness but with a FF, may not until very last hrs.

:clap Won't be a lot longer now....