Please Help, Aggressive Pyrenees.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Howdy y’all, I need some advice on my GP.
I was given a Great Pyrenees puppy almost 5 years ago. We have tried putting her in with the goats as a guard dog, but she ALWAYS finds her way out of everything, no matter what we do and prefers to free roam 15+ acres.
Well, as she has gotten older, she is getting more and more aggressive towards other dogs, baby animals, birds, etc.
My mom told me she growled at my sister or something like that. As well as she will get in fights with the other dogs. There is a chance that she will be put down, but was hoping to see if there is something I can do to fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
She was my first dog and means a lot to me. I’m willing to put in the work if that’s what it’ll take to save her.
37789169-6D04-445C-8F0D-A79F1E468EA1.jpeg

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello, we have two pyrs and have had problems with aggression in one, so I may be able to help. First (as harsh as it sounds) find a form of punishment that works, or if your dog responds better to positive reinforcement, reward her for every positive interaction she has with people/other dogs/etc. How old is she? If she's up there in years, pyrs sometimes have problems with their back and hips, so maybe she's in pain. Watch her interactions with people and/or animals, maybe she gets aggressive when they brush against a certain spot on her. If so, warn anyone on your farm (People obviously, animals can't be warned unfortunately) against touching that/those spot(s). We steer clear from muzzles unless the aggression is extreme and instead use a no pull head halter. If her aggression towards people is extreme, consider picking up a muzzle, it sends a clear message to anyone seeing it saying 'I CAN AND WILL BITE, STEER CLEAR'

I also have a question for you, does she do well roaming? Are the 15+ acres fenced? We are considering letting our pyr roam free as she jumps any fence we put her in and we don't want her chained up.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated.
My GP is going to be 5 next month. She isn’t in any pain from what we can tell, I can pet her all over and she shows no signs of being in pain. Positive encouragement is better for her, I think. We have tried both ways and none seem to work well, she just ignores me a lot of the time. 😒
She is now just showing some aggression towards people, hasn’t bitten anyone yet, but we fear she may one day. I will definitely look for a muzzle maybe just to have in hand, can she roam with it on 24/7?

That’s what my girl did, climbed/jumped every gait. She does wonderful roaming, she absolutely loves it. No, none of it is fence to keep her in, we have fencing, but for the cattle so the dogs have access to all the fields and stuff

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
To her any other dog that passes by is a threat and is no different than a coyote. That's what they're for. Many who use LGD's also use a goat style, no climb fence. That doesn't mean she can't climb it but can't walk through it.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
To her any other dog that passes by is a threat and is no different than a coyote. That's what they're for. Many who use LGD's also use a goat style, no climb fence. That doesn't mean she can't climb it but can't walk through it.
Yes, I am aware of other dogs being a threat, but she was always fine with the dogs she roams with, she has even adopted and raised a puppy we have who she has now turned on and that isn’t like her.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whatever you do with her, do not rehome her. She is out of control and if she continues to get worse, she should be put down.

What kind of fence do you have? What wire, how tall?

If you want to keep her in, put up a hot wire and I mean singe her hair hot. Top and bottom. I had a female GP, Paris-and she taught me well. Her nickname was Psycho B!tch. We put up a hot wire to keep her in. That was the only thing that worked. BUT she knew and respected family and certain friends. My grandchildren were safe with her. If she had ever shown the slightest aggression towards children-ANY children, she would have been dead.

Growing at your sister and escalating aggression would be a one way trip to the vet for me. I will not tolerate an aggressive animal towards family. Your dog knows your sister belongs and is growling at her. No way. No excuses.

This goes back to her as a puppy. You are not the Alpha dog, she is. Over time, she has pushed the boundaries out further and further. If you will deeply ponder on past behavior, you will see how this started, as she took control in little bits at a time. On your next dog, you will recognize those behaviors and deal with them while those behaviors are small.

I am not criticizing you. Do not beat up on yourself. So many dogs are bred that shouldn’t be. My dog Paris, came off a puppy farm. Within a year, she was a problem dog for her owners and they gave her to me. It took me 2 years to turn her into a guardian instead of a killer, but she was damaged by previous treatment, nuts and crazy all her life. Poor breeding no doubt contributed to that.

LGDs are incredible dogs and extremely independent. My 2 GPS taught me so much, I am forever indebted to them.

Your dog is aggressive towards baby animals, does that mean the goats that you want her to guard?

I suggest that you read all the posts on the LGD forum. You may not find the answer to your problem, but you will learn and benefit from the knowledge gained.

Please update this thread and let us know how she is doing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I recommend this book. Brenda Negri was a member here, I think she had an illness , she disappeared. I’m dumbfounded by the price of this book, on Amazon it was $192. I found a used one for $25. I have a copy and while I don’t agree with everything she said, there is much to be gleaned from her years of experience.

Last edited:

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Whatever you do with her, do not rehome her. She is out of control and if she continues to get worse, she should be put down.

What kind of fence do you have? What wire, how tall?

If you want to keep her in, put up a hot wire and I mean singe her hair hot. Top and bottom. I had a female GP, Paris-and she taught me well. Her nickname was Psycho B!tch. We put up a hot wire to keep her in. That was the only thing that worked. BUT she knew and respected family and certain friends. My grandchildren were safe with her. If she had ever shown the slightest aggression towards children-ANY children, she would have been dead.

Growing at your sister and escalating aggression would be a one way trip to the vet for me. I will not tolerate an aggressive animal towards family. Your dog knows your sister belongs and is growling at her. No way. No excuses.

This goes back to her as a puppy. You are not the Alpha dog, she is. Over time, she has pushed the boundaries out further and further. If you will deeply ponder on past behavior, you will see how this started, as she took control in little bits at a time. On your next dog, you will recognize those behaviors and deal with them while those behaviors are small.

I am not criticizing you. Do not beat up on yourself. So many dogs are bred that shouldn’t be. My dog Paris, came off a puppy farm. Within a year, she was a problem dog for her owners and they gave her to me. It took me 2 years to turn her into a guardian instead of a killer, but she was damaged by previous treatment, nuts and crazy all her life. Poor breeding no doubt contributed to that.

LGDs are incredible dogs and extremely independent. My 2 GPS taught me so much, I am forever indebted to them.

Your dog is aggressive towards baby animals, does that mean the goats that you want her to guard?

I suggest that you read all the posts on the LGD forum. You may not find the answer to your problem, but you will learn and benefit from the knowledge gained.

Please update this thread and let us know how she is doing.
Thank you for your response.
She isn’t in any fenced area anymore, just free roams. If I cannot keep her, she will be put down because I wouldn’t re-home an aggressive dog to anyone. We have two bottle baby goats, they are put in the backyard in the day and if they come in the porch, where my GP lives to be, she will attack them. She used to be fine with them, but flipped a switch for some reason.
I will keep this updated on what I do and everything.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated.
My GP is going to be 5 next month. She isn’t in any pain from what we can tell, I can pet her all over and she shows no signs of being in pain. Positive encouragement is better for her, I think. We have tried both ways and none seem to work well, she just ignores me a lot of the time. 😒
She is now just showing some aggression towards people, hasn’t bitten anyone yet, but we fear she may one day. I will definitely look for a muzzle maybe just to have in hand, can she roam with it on 24/7?

That’s what my girl did, climbed/jumped every gait. She does wonderful roaming, she absolutely loves it. No, none of it is fence to keep her in, we have fencing, but for the cattle so the dogs have access to all the fields and stuff
She should not have a muzzle on 24/7 (barring meals obviously) as she would not be able to drink enough throughout the day. A no pull head halter allows just enough wiggle room to drink (not eat, you would have to take it off for meals) but won't allow her to bite anything. From reading your replies to everyone else it almost seems like she has a neurological problem. These are the specific things that led me to think this:
1. She used to be fine with people but is suddenly aggressive
2. She used to be ok with your baby goats and animals but is suddenly aggressive
3. Is now aggressive with a dog that she has seen grow up from a puppy that she was ok with before (not so much with other dogs as that is to be expected with pyrs, just like donkeys with an ingrained suspicion or even hatred for other dogs)

Do you possibly have a vet to take her to, maybe they could do a scan to check for abnormalities in her brain. Or you're like me and don't want (or in my case CAN'T) to spend a ton of money on vet bills...

Keep us updated, i would like to see how this turns out...

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She should not have a muzzle on 24/7 (barring meals obviously) as she would not be able to drink enough throughout the day. A no pull head halter allows just enough wiggle room to drink (not eat, you would have to take it off for meals) but won't allow her to bite anything. From reading your replies to everyone else it almost seems like she has a neurological problem. These are the specific things that led me to think this:
1. She used to be fine with people but is suddenly aggressive
2. She used to be ok with your baby goats and animals but is suddenly aggressive
3. Is now aggressive with a dog that she has seen grow up from a puppy that she was ok with before (not so much with other dogs as that is to be expected with pyrs, just like donkeys with an ingrained suspicion or even hatred for other dogs)

Do you possibly have a vet to take her to, maybe they could do a scan to check for abnormalities in her brain. Or you're like me and don't want (or in my case CAN'T) to spend a ton of money on vet bills...

Keep us updated, i would like to see how this turns out...
Okay thank you, I don’t think I’d be able to afford a vet bill, especially cuz the prices at my vet we use is going up. I will definitely keep y’all updated